“Fabulous Location and Newly Renovated” 5 of 5 stars

Hilton Inn at Penn
Ranked #6 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Fabulous Location and Newly Renovated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

i stayed in this Hilton hotel 3 nights while my husband was having surgery at the University of Penn Hospital. It is only a four block walk through the campus to reach the hospital which I made many times, cutting through the campus each time. It was a safe walk at any hour. My room was on the 4th floor overlooking the campus and I did not hear any street noise. The King room was lovely, with one lounge to sit in by day to read as the sun gleamed in the window. There was an ipad in the room to use, which was very convenient since I only had my smart phone to e mail.
Pros
~The service was fantastic and the maids were very understanding of my situation letting me sleep in one morning while skipping service, they hung a bag of extras like water and coffee on my door.
~The rooms were spotless, roomy the bed and pillows were comfy, the shower was great.
~ I loved their lighted mirror in the bathroom. It is the only time I have every looked good by a hotel bathroom light. I want one for my home.
~ The Penne restaurant attached had a nice lunch special which I enjoyed three days in a row. The arugula salad and a chose of entree for $17 was a good deal and served as my main meal. There is a breakfast buffet also, but I did not partake.
~Front desk staff very helpful and there is a large living room area with fireplace area which was a nice touch.
Very quiet. I never heard anyone above or next to me or any street noise.
~Coffee available in room, but also there is a starbucks in the college bookstore next door, and one down the street. There is a cafe called Cosi right out the back door entrance which served wonderful breakfast sandwiches and lunch salads/sandwiches which I purchased and put in the refridge in my room for a late dinner. There roasted veggie sandwich was my favorite.

Cons
Parking is 39.00 a day, a bit steep, but it is the city. I parked my car at the hospital since my husband was a patient and rolled my luggage over...short walk.. You might want to check out other near by self park lots.

Room Tip: Campus view rooms get afternoon sunshine which is nice in the winter especially.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Hebrew first
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton for 8 nights while attending a program at University of Pennsylvania. I was very satisfied with my stay. This hotel is located just across the street from UPenn and is very convenient when visiting the campus and offers much to do around the area. The rooms were beautiful, and the bed was very comfortable. The service was excellent and everyone was very accommodating.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank GatorD39
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

A pleasant surprise in University City just off the University of Pennsylvania campus, this boutique-style hotel is in a great location for visiting the college campuses or attending students nearby - it is not as good a location for business or sightseeing stays. The lobby is incredibly large and nicely decorated. The rooms were a decent size with comfortable beds, although the "ipad in every room" has virtually no realistic usefulness. Was not impressed with the restaurant, but there are lots of nearby places to eat

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank traveltime841
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton for two nights while attending parents weekend at Drexel University. We arrived 4 days after hurricane Sandy. We were without power and were so happy to be checking into the hotel.The room and bathroom were spotless. Loved the comfy feel of the library while sitting by the fireplace. The staff were all very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

This Hilton boutique hotel is a wonderful hideaway in the University City area of Philadelphia. The rooms are large and well apportioned. The public spaces have numerous private alcoves and invite casual meet ups. I expected a standard university hotel, and I was very pleasantly surprised. One word of warning, the rooms are pricey but good, safe hotel space in Philadelphia is hard to come by.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stopped using Hilton Hotels about 4 years ago as I felt they had noticeably declined in service, quality and general maintenance. My last visit to The Waldorf was a complete disaster resulting in my switch to Sofitel.

Anyway, I was pretty impressed with Hilton Inn at Penn by some major advances for the business traveler. Although, it's still very much a Hilton, e.g. the choice of "Merlot, Cabernet or Pinot Noir" at the bar doesn't much confidence in quality, they have introduced small but significant advances.

OK, one bad thing about this place was the lack of service at the door. My baggage and I were sort of dumped at the front door without assistance. I had a lot of baggage. I had to find my own cart and take everything up to the check-in desk myself. I would have made this a 4 star rating if it wasn't for that rather rude introduction.

Anyway, the small things DO count and here's a list of the good stuff:

1. The desks do NOT have glass tops. This is very important as I hate glass desks because my mouse never works on them.

2. There's an iPad in the room. Brilliant! No need for those pesky folders full of out-of-date information about room service etc. This way, I can do everything online without having to rummage for extension numbers for the front desk, gym etc. Every hotel should do this!

3. There's a box full of cables so I can fully connect all gadgets. Marvelous! I cannot count the number of times I've been unable to fully connect due to a lack of cables.

4. There's a console on the wall by the desk so I can plug everything in. I don't like having to scramble around on the floor under desks to find plugs etc.

OK, that's all great. The one thing that would make this review a 4 - apart from naming the wines and lack of front door service - would be to have the TV in a position near the desk so I can use the screen as a monitor. I have yet to find a hotel that enables this. Most have the plugs but usually, the enormous TV is located on the other side of the room from the desk.

I may just return to Hilton for business if all their hotels have useful gadgets however, Hilton, please do something about the service issue!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Five nights in a hotel is a pretty good test I reckon and the Inn passed with flying colours. Understated, super-clean and spacious, it was a great base for our family. Room decor won't set any hearts racing with excitement but all immaculate and in proper condition. Slightly compact fitness room but perfectly adequate. Very friendly concierge who gave us several spot-on eating out suggestions. The breakfast buffet is well organised and lots to eat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family