“Gem”

Ranked #3 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 26, 2012

A short quick review. Everything was perfect except for 2 things

a) Hotel was not able to provide a receipt for my stay as the booking was done through a reservation website and not the hotel website.

b) No need to try to breakfast at University Club. For $19, I felt that the spread was not enough to justify the price. But the service is excellent.

Location is good and the fact that you could order room service or housekeeping through the ipad given in the room was cool. You could also use the ipad to serve the Internet.

A lot of eating places around the hotel, so food's not a concern.

Strongly recommend.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Inn at Penn

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Superior service, beautiful rooms, great location for visiting UPenn. A little pricey, but worth every penny. For the service alone, one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had. Highly recommend. Did not eat there, but good restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is certainly above average, but I don't find it particularly exciting. The room was usual and clean. Service was not as great as I hoped with front desk staff giving the incorrect hours of room service and when I ordered room service delivery on the electronic system they have for that it never came, no one ever called to inform me that in fact the service closed an hour before the front desk staff had informed me. I had the same problem with the restaurant and they would not seat us for breakfast, (and I had purchased breakfast with the room) because they were going to be closing in 30 minutes. While I thought that would be enough time to eat some breakfast, apparently they were unwilling to prepare it with only 30 minutes to go before it closed. The lobby is not set up in a way as to be an enjoyable place to stay or people watch and the library room there while lovely to look at has a mold problem. Being highly allergic to mold myself I had to try a couple of rooms and take the allergy free room as the whole lobby, restaurant, library and rooms do seem to have a mold problem. This is unfortunate.

Room Tip: Make reservation directly with the hotel, by phone, tell them what you want. Allergy free rooms did...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
gmgreg, General Manager at Hilton Inn at Penn, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Our hotel is routinely rated in the top 10 Hilton managed hotels in the Americas and among the top few hotels in Philadelphia. In the days immediately prior to your stay the hotel was inspected by the AAA inspector who awarded us our Four Diamond status for the 13th consecutive year and the Hilton QA inspector who awarded us our 18th consecutive Outsatnding rating. If we provided misinformation about the hours of room service, I apologize for that. However, I am absolutely confident we would never decline to seat a patron in our restaurant before closin,g muchless 30 minutes before closing. Most importantly, it is unfortunate that people can make wild and unsubstantiated allegations in this environment and those allegations are allowed to remain posted on TripAdvisor's site, leaving future prospective guests wondering about the truth. The fact is that not only have the above inspections occurred very recently with no such findings, but the Inn at Penn is part of the one of the world's elite higher learning institutions, The University of Pennsylvania, which cares deeply and seriously about sustainability and environmental issues. Our hotel is frequently reviewed by environmental specialists as part of our efforts to make it "greener." There is no mold in our Living Room or any other part of our hotel.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for two weekend nights. We used Hilton points for our stay, and I was really pleased with this hotel. The bellhop (Michael, I believe) was extremely nice and showed us to our room. He quickly determined that we needed more towels and those were promptly delivered. He showed us how the basics in the room worked, including the single serve coffee maker.

The room itself was small, but newly renovated and very nice. We had a double, and the beds were comfortable. The room was well-equipped with an in-room fridge, iPad, free wifi, and really great lighting in the bathroom (weird, I know, but true).

I liked the location of the hotel; it was convenient to a Wawa for basics like water and snacks and was near a lot of restaurants and shopping. The breakfasts were quite good as well. All in all, I'd highly recommend this hotel - great choice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2012

If this hotel was cheaper, I would give it 5 stars. For that price, I expect Ritz service and this is a Hilton. The hotel is very nice. Clean, remodeled, nice rooms, good gym, great location. No complaints about the hotel itself. Feels very fresh.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hilton Inn at Penn for two nights during the third week of August. The hotel is situated directly across the street from the University of Pennsylvania campus and a 10 minute taxi ride from 30th Street station.

I arrived at the hotel and was greeted by the very friendly staff. Not surprisingly, the Hilton has a "collegiate" feel to it. The rooms, while not overly large, were very clean and included a system where you insert your room key in order to control the thermostat and lights. It took a few minutes to get used to, but nothing to be concerned about.

The bathroom was very upscale, with a vessel sink and large shower. The bed was really comfortable, but my favorite aspects of the room were the free wifi internet access and iPad that served as the directory of hotel services.

My primary reason for selecting the Hilton was that its price ($219) was significantly lower than the rates approaching $300 being charged by various Center City hotels. At first I was disappointed not to be staying in the central business district, but was pleasantly surprised at how close you really are. The Frankford-Market SEPTA line (subway) was less than a 10 minute walk away at 34th Street, and shuttled me to the 5th Street station (Independence Hall and Liberty Bell) in under 12 minutes.

The Hilton contains two restaurants, but I didn't have a chance to try them, since there are a number of great places to eat near by. I was slightly disappointed by the small fitness room, but it was adequate for a decent cardio workout.

Overall, the Inn at Penn is an excellent choice for your stay in Philadelphia, especially if you need to be in the University City neighborhood. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank John V
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Pleasantly surprised by the university location, away from the grit and bustle of city center but vibrant with restaurants and not too far from attractions (walked to museum parkway each day). Room was clean, featured free wifi and an in-room iPad, comfortable beds. Quiet, even as neighborhood boomed with college students moving in. Staff tried hard, a super early check-in was not possible but they managed to get me in a couple hours early. Only major annoyance was upon attempting to extend my stay by one day, front desk made me call Hilton who made me call Hotwire, instead of taking care of it with my card on file. Process took an hour at 1am was was not fun. Anyway, bell staff and concierge were especially pleasant. Room service order was also very wrong (tasted good tho and they corrected it immediately).

Room Tip: Choose a high floor room that DOES NOT overlook the vents and ducts of the Barnes & Noble room n...