“Enjoyed It, Great Area”

Hilton Inn at Penn
Ranked #3 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for two weekend nights. We used Hilton points for our stay, and I was really pleased with this hotel. The bellhop (Michael, I believe) was extremely nice and showed us to our room. He quickly determined that we needed more towels and those were promptly delivered. He showed us how the basics in the room worked, including the single serve coffee maker.

The room itself was small, but newly renovated and very nice. We had a double, and the beds were comfortable. The room was well-equipped with an in-room fridge, iPad, free wifi, and really great lighting in the bathroom (weird, I know, but true).

I liked the location of the hotel; it was convenient to a Wawa for basics like water and snacks and was near a lot of restaurants and shopping. The breakfasts were quite good as well. All in all, I'd highly recommend this hotel - great choice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hilton Inn at Penn

Reviewed September 18, 2012

If this hotel was cheaper, I would give it 5 stars. For that price, I expect Ritz service and this is a Hilton. The hotel is very nice. Clean, remodeled, nice rooms, good gym, great location. No complaints about the hotel itself. Feels very fresh.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hilton Inn at Penn for two nights during the third week of August. The hotel is situated directly across the street from the University of Pennsylvania campus and a 10 minute taxi ride from 30th Street station.

I arrived at the hotel and was greeted by the very friendly staff. Not surprisingly, the Hilton has a "collegiate" feel to it. The rooms, while not overly large, were very clean and included a system where you insert your room key in order to control the thermostat and lights. It took a few minutes to get used to, but nothing to be concerned about.

The bathroom was very upscale, with a vessel sink and large shower. The bed was really comfortable, but my favorite aspects of the room were the free wifi internet access and iPad that served as the directory of hotel services.

My primary reason for selecting the Hilton was that its price ($219) was significantly lower than the rates approaching $300 being charged by various Center City hotels. At first I was disappointed not to be staying in the central business district, but was pleasantly surprised at how close you really are. The Frankford-Market SEPTA line (subway) was less than a 10 minute walk away at 34th Street, and shuttled me to the 5th Street station (Independence Hall and Liberty Bell) in under 12 minutes.

The Hilton contains two restaurants, but I didn't have a chance to try them, since there are a number of great places to eat near by. I was slightly disappointed by the small fitness room, but it was adequate for a decent cardio workout.

Overall, the Inn at Penn is an excellent choice for your stay in Philadelphia, especially if you need to be in the University City neighborhood. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank John V
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Pleasantly surprised by the university location, away from the grit and bustle of city center but vibrant with restaurants and not too far from attractions (walked to museum parkway each day). Room was clean, featured free wifi and an in-room iPad, comfortable beds. Quiet, even as neighborhood boomed with college students moving in. Staff tried hard, a super early check-in was not possible but they managed to get me in a couple hours early. Only major annoyance was upon attempting to extend my stay by one day, front desk made me call Hilton who made me call Hotwire, instead of taking care of it with my card on file. Process took an hour at 1am was was not fun. Anyway, bell staff and concierge were especially pleasant. Room service order was also very wrong (tasted good tho and they corrected it immediately).

Room Tip: Choose a high floor room that DOES NOT overlook the vents and ducts of the Barnes & Noble room n...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Absolutely loved my stay at the Inn at Penn. I stayed there for 2 nights for a business trip with on site meetings. The staff was fantastic - super friendly and helpful. Each morning when I came back from my run, the bellman had a towel and a cold bottle of water for me. The front desk staff and the concierge were very helpful with recommendations and dealing with some business issues like sending faxes, etc.

The room was spacious with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was very clean and modern with fantastic toiletries. The hotel is very environmentally conscious and the waste can is separated so you can recycle your papers, which was nice. The catering at the on site events was very good with lots of fresh, seasonal selections, including various healthy options. One of our breaks was catered with a Philadelphia theme - Tastycakes, soft pretzels, etc., which was cute.

The hotel is the obvious choice if you need to be in West Philadelphia for anything near Penn or Drexel. It would even be a good choice if you needed to be in Center City and didn't mind being a little out of the center. It's a short cab ride or a 20 minute walk or so.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We've stayed here about half a dozen times and never been disappointed. The bell staff, doormen, and front desk folks are invariably welcoming, cheerful and helpful. Rooms are recently renovated, clean, bright, with plenty of outlets for your electronics, and high bandwidth complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the property. Complimentary hot breakfasts used to be included with the room rate- they've downgraded to continental with fresh fruits, cereals, and breads, but it was only an additional $4 each for the hot, including made-to-order omelets.

Inn is on the Penn Campus- easy walk to anywhere around the University. Penn’s bookstore is in the same building. So is Pod- terrific for dinner. For lunch I'd recommend the White Dog Cafe, a block east on Sansom. Another great restaurant for dinner is Distrito, west of the inn, on Chestnut at 40th.

Room Tip: When making reservations, call the hotel directly and ask for the "Visit Penn" rate, gener...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MAVacationerBoston
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This was the greatest experience I've had with a hotel. When we arrived, the men outside were immediately helpful with parking. There was another man at the door (I didn't catch his name) who offered us cold bottled water since we just came back from the soccer game on a rather hot day. All of the staff was more than friendly and efficient. The room was gorgeous and the bed was super comfortable! The iPads that are offered in the room were really useful to locate places to eat and sights to see.
We ordered room service for breakfast, which was a little pricey; however, it was the best breakfast I have ever eaten in a hotel so I think it was worth it. The man who brought it up, Jeffery I think, was very courteous and friendly!
Overall amazing night! I would absolutely return!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple