“Nice Hotel but definitely Overpriced!”
Review of Hilton Inn at Penn

Hilton Inn at Penn
Ranked #3 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bronx, NY
“Nice Hotel but definitely Overpriced!”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We had a business conference in the hotel. When we arrived, no one was at the front desk. We waited for like 10 minutes for someone to walk out of the library (a sort of bar). We were then checked in. We asked for a late check out since our conference was held at the hotel and would not finish until about 5:30 on a weekday. We were told that we could only stay until 1pm unless we wanted to pay for the next night. I found the front desk agent to be a little rude.

The hotel is situated in a great location. You are around the university. There's shopping downstairs. The hotel does have somewhere to eat but no pool. The gym was decent. There is no parking though and if you want to park at the hotel, they charge an additional $35.00 per night. I think this fee should be waived since the room was $263.00.

The room was clean. I guess you can consider the style to be modern, but I like modern, and I found this room to be cold and missing some artwork at least. The bed was really comfortable. Room service was ok...overpriced but ok. Again, the person who delivered the food was very serious and dry until he got his tip. Call me old fashioned but I believe personnel should deliver with a smile especially for those prices.

The bathroom was beautiful and modern but made poorly because the room would get flooded everytime we showered. Ridiculous!!! (If you ask me.) It could actually become dangerous and slippery.

There is an ipad in the room for your use. I'm pretty sure we paid more than enough for that. lol! One of the cool aspects of the room is the lighting system. You need to have your key inserted into a device so that you can control the lights and temperature. That was a really cool feature.

All in all it was an okay stay. I would definitely expect more for the price. I have stayed at very expensive hotels and resorts and know the true value of the dollar. Basically, been there, done that and won't do it again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Bronx_NYCleanFreak
nbarag, Director of Sales at Hilton Inn at Penn, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Thank you for your comments from your recent stay at the Inn at Penn. We appreciate feedback and use it to improve our product and services. Unfortunately we are not always able to offer a late check out due to the demand over certain dates. We always do our very best to ensure that rooms will be ready for our guests when they check in. If you compare our parking prices to many hotels in center city Philadelphia, I think you will find them to be very competitve with all the other four-diamond hotels. Regarding our showers - we are currently working on alleviating the problem you expressed. We hope you enjoyed the iPads. We are the first Hilton to feature them in the guestrooms and the only hotel in Philadelphia to offer them. Rest assured that we do not charge more for the room because of them - we actually have been able to eliminate the folder that you find in every other hotel filled with printed materials about the hotel. Our goal for the iPads was to be more efficient. We hope you might consider a future stay at the Inn at Penn should your travels bring you back to Philadelphia. We thank you for your business! Nancy Barag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
North Andover
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Great location, rooms large, clean well appointed with all modern conviniences. Room service lacking, doing rooms late in afternoon often after 4 and often forgetting to replenish towels, face cloths or glasses in room. Restaurant with limited menu and average quality. if corrects service issue would be 5 star.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank fdekow
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Inn at Penn. We have addressed your comments with our Housekeeping and Culinary teams and appreciate you taking the time to let us know. Our team is proud of our service however we apparently did not meet your expectations. I hope you will come back and try us again on a future stay in Philly. Nancy Barag
Union City, California
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed there just for the night. lobby gave a very comfy cosy feel.the desk staff agent who checked me in, did all his standards i guess but then went on offered to make restaurant resv and guide me around the city. i was in the room and told the turndown guy i need tea bags, no kidding he was back in 45 seconds.
rooms are great, i like the junior suites and the ipads are a cool touch. the manager, Shirley met me in the morning and thanked me for staying. again good touch. valet staff didnt help me checkout well but arrival was great.

will return, overall fantastic stay.

Room Tip: ask for 6th floor. good views of the city
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bethesda, MD
Reviewed August 20, 2011

From the moment I walked in until the moment I left, the entire staff was incredibly friendly, the recently renovated room was beautiful, and the jazz in the lobby a bonus!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My stay was great. I went on a weekend trip with my husband and stayed there for just 1 night. The room was very comfortable and clean, appropriate to the standard of the hotel. The only thing I would point is the location. The hotel stays in the middle of the University of Pennsilvanya about 20 minutes by bus from downtown (the Market area). The nearest metro station is about 10 minutes walking. But there are plenty of taxis on the front door if you don’t mind spending that money, which was not my case as I am more of a budget traveler. The price of the room was cheaper than other comparable hotels downtown which is good.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank br_a2
Rochester, NY
Reviewed August 10, 2011

This is our third stay at the Inn at Penn and we love it here. Our daughter was married here two years ago and they did a wonderful job with the wedding and reception. Since then we've stayed here when visiting her, most recently in July. Their newly remodeled rooms are just fantastic. They are so clean, comfortable and quiet. Everyone here is very helpful. I used the exercise room and it has great equipment and is spotless. If you have any reason to stay in the University City area, this is the place to be.

Room Tip: ask for a newly remodeled room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I stayed here in June during an event at Wharton. The event organizers had all the speakers stay at this location, literally 2 blocks away from the conference hall. The hotel itself is a bit of a gem, with beautiful brickwork, woodwork and carpeting in the common areas. The Living Room - a big cozy lounge area is a delightful area filled with books, comfy couches and chairs to meet with friends or enjoy looking through book titles. The warmth of the common areas created a very welcoming experience.

The room itself was well-appointed if not remarkable. The decor is modern, clean and functional, and everything was comfortable. A slight bit on the small side with no view to speak of, the room was a good spot to rest up before going out to the next adventure.

The in-house restaurant and lounge was a nice surprise. I met three girlfriends there for dinner and drinks, and we had a very nice time. The service was good, the food fresh with some excellent salads and pastas, and the prices were very reasonable, too.

Highly recommended spot for anyone working in the area or attending events at Wharton or the University in general. The area offers a variety of eats from awesome food trucks up to fine dining, pubs and wine bars, coffee houses.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business