“Good hotel, nice location”

Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center
Ranked #24 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We booked this hotel through Ebookers. It was not too expensive, and in my opinion it was good value for money. We did get a two double beds room. The beds were quite small, considering that we were four adults. However, the room was nice and quite spacious. The check-in was quick and pleasant. The fitness is quite alright: two treadmills, two bikes and some dumbles. The pool was small and was located inside. I did not use it.
The breakfast was alright: in my opinion, it was an extended continental breakfast, but I expected more from a 'full hot breakfast'. One morning, they served eggs and grease, while the other morning they served waffles and sausages.
The location is very good. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the center. I suspect that when the construction is finished, it will be even less. We had a room on the seventh floor. We stayed during the weekend and were not disturbed by any noise. I have no clue whether they really worked during the weekend.
They WiFi they offered was very quick.
Lastly, the parking is $20 per night. It is not a parking lot, but just a private company across the street where you have to leave your keys since they sometimes have to move your car to park other cars. I did not like that very much. On the other hand, when I wanted to take something from my car, immediately someone asked me to prove that it was my car.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,984)

Reviewed July 15, 2009

There is extensive construction across the street which is not disclosed on the hotel's website. The noise from the construction site woke up my children at 4 a.m. in the morning and it was so noisy that they were not going to nap later in the day. We were able to switch to rooms on the other side of the hotel; however, the type of room we originally reserved was not available. So, we ended up in smaller rooms.

The parking is a joke. The hotel has no parking; the hotel contracts with a private company to provide valet service or you can park in a pay lot down the street. The pay lot was constantly full during our stay so the only option was valet. I have never seen a more incompetent valet service. It took on average 30 to 45 minutes to get your car. We were constantly running late because we never knew how long it was going to take to get the car (the hotel says to allow approximately 15 minutes).

The only positive was the front desk staff during the day. They were very nice in spite of the circumstances.

I would only recommend this hotel to someone who was going to meetings at the convention center, wasn't going to spend a lot (or any time) at the hotel and was traveling via taxi.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank VMCS
Reviewed July 12, 2009

The complimentary breakfasts were not great, with rubber-like eggs, but it was in a very nice location, with a nice view of the city from our room window on the ninth floor.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2009

This hotel is a bit on the older side and rooms are small, but clean. It was within walking distance of most of the tourist attractions. Self parking was relatively close. No complaints for an overnight stay, we just needed someplace to sleep. Breakfast was a bit hectic Sunday morning.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I recently stayed at this Hampton Inn for 2 nights for a wedding I was attending. My boyfriend is a Hilton Gold member and we used points to book the stay.

The wedding was about 8 blocks away down Race street, so the location was great. Also, I explored the city during the day and was able to walk to several tourist attractions and shopping and eating places. Great location!

My main complaint about the hotel was that a fire alarm went off on Saturday morning, and continued to go on and off for about 15 minutes. This was followed by an announcment from the front desk staff that the alarm was pulled and no evacuation was needed, but not before I had already called the front desk to ask what was going on.

Also, the walls are thinner than most Hampton Inns, and the doors make loud noises when the shut. I heard people coming in and out and talking through the hallway most of the evening.

I used the gym and indoor pool, and enjoyed both! Small selection of fitness equipment, but all new and in good shape. Nice size pool and hot tub. Great perks!

I was shocked that breakfast was not included, as that is usually a standard commodity at the Hampton Inn. Also shocked at the expensive parking option ($23 per night, no in and out priviledge).

All in all, an average to above average option for downtown Philly.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
jgrassi, Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2009

The Hampton Inn Philadelphia offers a hot breakfast buffet every morning to its guests. This is a brand standard at all Hampton Inn's. Our parking rates are 10 to 15 dollars less than our competitors. At Hampton we strive to provide the best possible experience at the best possible cost for our guests.

Reviewed June 16, 2009

Easy to access to all Philadelphia attractions by walk, simple and clean, didn't need more

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed June 6, 2009

We stayed here while accompanying my husband on a business trip. Location-wise, the hotel is just a short walk from the convention center and the yummy restaurants at Reading Terminal Market. Also a 10-minute walk to the Phlash Trolley, which takes you all over town. The only downside to the location is its proximity to a homeless men's shelter about 1/2 block away. We never felt unsafe, but there were always a number of men hanging around outside the building. Also there's construction going on in the area. Our room on the 6th floor was fairly quiet, but occasionally we were awakened by typical city street noise in the early morning hours.

The service at the hotel was particularly good. Whenever we called down to the front desk about a matter, they promptly addressed it. The rooms were clean & comfortable. Breakfast was OK... more variety than some hotels but not top-notch cuisine by any means. We'd stay there again if we were on business at the convention center. There's a monitored parking lot for $20/day just up the block from the hotel.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Travelers also viewed these Philadelphia hotels
Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City
Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia - Convention Center, PA
Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
The Windsor Suites
#6 of 88 in Philadelphia

Been to Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center? Share your experiences!