“Very nice place, good location, horrendous parking”

Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center
Ranked #25 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We really liked this hotel. Great location, wonderful staff, clean room and nicely decorated. They had a pool and a whirlpool/hot tub, and amazing breakfast area with large selection of foods, and an exercise room. Conveniently located near the convention center and museums. The price was good, also. We felt safe there, but did not sleep well due to worrying about our car.

Another website said they had "onsite parking". Absolutely not true! There are two offsite choices. "Self parking" or Valet. The self park lot is half a block away, but you drop your car off and they park it in whatever space they have room for. The cars are parked in like sardines and it can take a LONG time to retrieve your car due to all the juggling of parked cars. Who knows how many times our car was started up and moved. You give your keys to the attendant and pray your car is not damaged. We saw 2 cars that would not start when the owners came to retrieve!

Valet parking might be safer, but we were told it takes up to 25-30 minutes for them to bring your car. The hotel does not give you any other suggestions about lots or garages where you can park. It seems that some lots allow overnight parking, but you have to be out by 5:00am so that workers who live in the Philly area can park during the day.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for the traveler who arrives by train or taxi from the airport, or groups on bus tours, but not if you want access to your car or if want to sleep well at night without worrying about the condition of your car in the morning!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoyStitcher
Dan W, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear JoyStitch,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words regarding your overall experience at the hotel with our team. I am sorry to hear that you had the issues with parking that you mention. We are working with the parking company to ensure a better overall parking experience for our guests.

Thank you again for the feedback and for choosing our hotel while visiting Philadelphia. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Dan Williams

Write a ReviewReviews (2,004)

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We're staying here for three nights; When we arrived, everything looks great, but in the morning the horror starts. The nice pictures you see on there website of the breakfast hall is just to good te be true. When you go early or late, it's always full, and "the buffet" is all a mess. Everything is wet or dirty, and the "waiters" are not very friendly. They even let you eat of paper plates, with plastic knives, forks and spoons. You can't even get a coffee from a normal cup, it's an "on-the-go-cup". When We asked two times at the reception why we couldn't get normal plates, we got two different answers. Answer one: "We give paper plates because of the germs." I've eaten in many hotels, on normal plates, I never got sick.... Answer two: "In all of the US they serve breakfast on paper plates, it's even "ECO-FRIENDLY". Now that's kind of funny. First off all, we've been to many lower budget hotels during this trip in the US, and we always got normal plates, normal knives, etc. So I think that's a lie. About the eco-friendly, I can't except that throwing hundreds of paper plates and plastic knives is eco-friendly'er than using a normal dishwasher, maybe you can use eco-friendly soap to wash it? So I think these two receptionist don't know either. I will not recommend this hotel at all. People are not friendly, and they treat you like animals. I wouldn't even let my dog stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dan W, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2014

Dear MDV825,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City recently and for sharing your feedback with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Our breakfast team does a great job keeping the supplies stocked, area clean and providing great service to our guests so I am very surprised and want to personally apologize for your experience with our breakfast. I would also like to apologize for what seems to be miscommunication regarding what you were being told is the reason we use the plates that we have in our breakfast area. The plates we use are the plates required by our Brand (Hampton Inns) and are environmentally friendly.

Again, I would like to personally apologize as I am truly sorry and disappointed for what you experienced. Should your travel plans bring you back to the area again, I am hopeful that you would reconsider giving the Hampton Inn Center City Philadelphia another chance. Thank you for your business and the feedback regarding your stay.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Where to begin...
The price is extremely reasonable. Included every morning is breakfast- a GOOD, hot (or cold) breakfast. This isn't some stale bagels, this is waffles, omelets, potatoes, oatmeal, fruit. And, of course coffee all day long! If you're on the run, the hotel has breakfast bags to go, filled with fruit, water, a muffin, a breakfast bar, and mints. This ended up saving me from starvation as we were running out the door on 2 mornings.
The rooms were well equipped, comfortable, and clean.
The hotel itself is in walking distance to Chinatown, the Convention Center, and tons of restaurants, and shops.
One last bonus- the parking is $25/ day, which in the city is a deal.
I would absolutely stay here again!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear jwalkerr,

Thank you for posting feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City. We are thrilled to hear that you had an enjoyable experience with us.

Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City. On behalf of the entire team, we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed here for a conference. Came in a group of 10 and they quickly sorted out the rooms. Breakfast was wonderful and helped us be on time for all our activities. We could walk easily to the convention center, restaurants, and historical sites. Took the nearby train to a baseball game. Phyllis, the concierge, is very happy and helpful. Whenever I had a request it was meet promptly and cheerfully. Fresh warm cookies and ice cold lemon water welcomed us whenever we returned in the afternoon. The front desk were always very pleasant as well.
They literally saved my life because I collapsed in the lobby and they had an ambulance there and was whisked off to a nearby hospital within minutes. They kept my room open for me until I was released and could fly home. Took very good care of me. A great hotel as well as emergency response team. Thank you to Phyllis, Jon, Danielle, Elaine, Dyvana, and Debra for taking care of me when I could not.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 6th floor on the north side. Rarely heard noise.
Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Weber P

Dear Weber P,

First, the team here at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City is very relieved and happy to hear that you are feeling better from your medical concern while a guest of ours.

Thank you for providing us with feedback regarding your recent stay. It will be my pleasure to share your wonderful words regarding your experience with our management and team. I will be thrilled to personally acknowledge Phyllis, Jon, Danielle, Elaine, Duyana and Debra for providing memorable service. All of the team members that you mention are valuable assets of our team and I greatly appreciate your acknowledgement of their service. Our entire team works very hard on making each and every guest stay a memorable stay.

Again, thank you for your feedback. On behalf of the entire Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City team, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 13, 2014

A very well placed hotel. You can walk to almost all touristic places from it. Good services and an enthusiastic team in the front desk make your stay a really nice experience. Cleaning service is really good and the hall is quite cozy.

Room Tip: Comfortable and silent rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Dan W, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Dear JoaoMarceloBCosta,

Thank you for the wonderful review you recently wrote about an experience you had at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words regarding the service you received from the Front Desk team and the cleanliness of your room with our Housekeeping team. Both teams work very hard, as does the entire hotel team, to ensure each and every guest of ours enjoys their stay with us.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Between the attentive staff, the free breakfast, and proximity to the convention center, you cannot go wrong with this place. Was here for business so I did not need all the frills, just a comfortable place to rest my head. The turn down service was an added bonus, too. Very clean hotel and the staff is very helpful.

Room Tip: Room 212 does not have a great view (A/C unit?). Room 211 has a city view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear CJTravelsforAll,

The Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City family would like to take a moment to thank you for the review you recently posted. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team takes a lot of pride in their service as well as the cleanliness of our hotel and it is feedback such as yours that continues to give us the drive to continue our focus of 100% guest satisfaction.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

we arrived late at night and were welcomed nicely by the front desk. our room was clean, big and just what we needed after a train ride from DC. breakfast was fine, nothing special but not bad at all (eggs, waffles, fruits etc.). the hotel lobby and the area where you eat your breakfast looks nice, clean and comfortable. the concierge helped us find our way in the city and directed us to where we wanted and also helped us with leaving our luggage for the day and pick them up when we are done. location wise it was great too. very well located next to the convention center, walking distance to the terminal market, Macy's, city hall and right on the main street for public transportation without hearing all the street noise up in the rooms.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amiroi

Dear Amiroi,

Thank you very much for the kind words regarding your most recent stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City. It will be my pleasure to share your feedback with our entire team.

We look forward to see you soon. We understand that you have a choice in hotels and we thank you for choosing our hotel while visiting the area.