Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center
Ranked #24 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We very frequently stay at Hampton Inns and this was very disappointing. In short, we were given a room with two double beds rather than a king room like we'd requested and prepaid for and we didn't sleep at all because the heater in the room was VERY loud. To be fair we were refunded our money eventually (which is Hampton's policy) although even this was extremely difficult because we had prepaid. I know we will never stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Jessica423
roger_weber, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review concerning your stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia. We appreciate this feedback because it will make us better. I apologize for you not getting the bed type requested, this is very important to guests. The nosiy heater in the room can certainly cause a lousy night sleep and the maintenance on these is very high on our list. The Hampton stands by the 100% guest satisfaction and you certainly deserved a refund. I hope this doesn't deter you from using Hampton's in the future.
Roger Weber

Write a ReviewReviews (1,988)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I spent four nights in this hotel and I would love to stay there again when I go back to Philadelphia. The staff is helpful and welcoming. I really appreciated the free wireless internet, the complimentary breakfast in the morning and all day hot beverages available for guests, and the availability of the business center when I needed to print some documents. I didn’t check the hot whirlpool this time, but I hope to have another chance.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NY2008

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the hotel. We appreciate all the feedback we can get because it will make us better. Since you didn't use the pool or whirlpool this time hopefully when you return you will be able to use it.
Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We had an excellent stay on New Years Eve. The location was great, especially given the price. The immediate area surrounding the hotel was isolated which was a little disconcerting when walking at night but the general area still felt safe.

The rooms were very clean. The beds seemed smaller than at other hotels and weren't the most comfortable but that wasn't a huge issue. The layout of the floors is confusing with multiple halls leading off from the elevators.

The staff in particular could not have been friendlier or more helpful, especially for people having to work on a holiday. They were quick with a smile or a restaurant recommendation. They really worked hard to create a festive atmosphere to bring in 2013 which I truly appreciated.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marianna B
roger_weber, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I'm glad you welcomed the New Year in at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia!! We really appreciate this feedback and every review gets passed along to the associates. Your comments about the hotel and surrounding area will help future guest make a decision.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

First keep in mind that the Hampton Inn chain is a limited service, budget minded, generally compact brand, and in this context, this is an easy 5 stars. Fantastic price. Spotless. Nicely decorated and lit. Very well equipped. Great location. This location has far better amenities than most Hampton Inns I've stayed at. Unusual to see a bar at a Hampton Inn, and this location also has a covered sidewalk patio area with a massive outdoor flat screen. The fitness center is also the best I’ve seen at a Hampton Inn with 7 cardio machines, a pulley system, and dumbbells with a bench. Indoor pool is smaller, but adequate, and has an adjoining hot tub.

The breakfast is mediocre, but it is unfortunately the standard for Hampton Inn, which in my opinion should be universally improved, and I have seen some individual Hampton Inn’s step above protocol and provide something a little better. But it’s included, and you have plenty of alternatives in walking distance.

Parking isn’t ideal, but it works. It’s in a lot across the street and the attendant was very sensitive to the fact that you are a hotel guest and treated you as such. $25 per day is extremely fair for downtown Philly parking with unlimited in and out privileges.

I saw a review that complained about the location because it is near a Greyhound terminal two blocks away that helps homeless people. Boo hoo. Like any hotel in a major city if you go a couple blocks in the wrong direction you’ll stumble across a murky corner. So don’t flaunt your jewelry, go the other direction instead, and you are one block from Reading terminal, China town, 3 blocks from avenue of the arts, and endless other sites and landmarks and museums. I saw another comment about it not being great for families. Sure it is, if you want to keep your family budget intact. The rooms are, again, compact, but fine for a family of four in a double bed room, so if you want to be downtown with a family of four and don’t want to pay a fortune, this works. I saw yet another reviewer get frightened at the signs that point out that they wash the sheets. The points of the signs is that they wash everything that comes into contact with your body, including the use of replaceable comforter covers. I hate to inform the reviewer that most hotels don’t use washable comforter covers so you are snuggling up to a comforter that usually doubles as a bed spread and hasn’t been washed in who knows how long.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank PhillyFoodieVA
roger_weber, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write this review concerning your stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia. This feedback is extremely important to the staff because we use it as a tool to improve. Your description of the hotel and surrounding areas is well said. Hopefully future guests will read this information and understand the services and amenities we offer.
Thank you for being OUR guest.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights on a business trip. This hotel is literally right next to the Convention Center and very short (2 block) walking distance to the Chinatown. I love their coffee and it is provided 24-hour. The hotel always has staff available at the door greeting everyone. Great service. Free breakfast is no doubt a plus, but wish they provide more meat. Wifi is free but takes too long to log in but after that you are good to go. Overall, I am pleased.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank haithanhhuynh
roger_weber, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time time to write this review concerning your stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia. We appreciate the feedback and I'm very pleased the Hotel's services and location met all your needs. Information like this will help future guets.
Thanks for being OUR guest.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Good location if your going to the convention centre. I was not. Here for a week I found the area quite and uncomfortable: near he greyhound terminal and a church that takes in drug addicts it doesn't exactly paint a great picture of Philly.
Breakfast is free, but to be honest I wouldn't pay for that slop (my colleagues and I ended up going to Reading Terminal for breakfast). The bar is quite depressing at night.
The rooms are big, however and they are clean (although I found it disturbing that the hotel mad a point of advertising the fact they washed the sheets for new guests - I would hope this was standard practice and nothing to feel the need to advertise so much).
May be coming back to the city on business next year, but definitely won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 79as79
roger_weber, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review concerning your stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia. We appreciate the feedback and use it as a tool to improve. I'm sorry the location didn't work well for you and I apologize for that. The breakfast food is the standard Hampton food. We are required to have these items and change the hot food choices daily. I will forward your comments to Hampton.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

This hotel was well priced for its location. The rooms are small probably because the building is older? However, the rooms were quiet. Breakfast included which is a plus! The location was within walking distance to a lit if sites. The pool was clean and so was the gym. My only suggestion to the hotel staff is to periodically check the gym as many children were playing on the equipment. Not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank itaewandong

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I'm really glad you liked the location and the services of the hotel. The hotel is centrally located and works well for many guests.