“What more could I ask for?”

Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center
Ranked #27 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
California, United States
“What more could I ask for?”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for three nights to attend a wedding at the Adventure Aquarium in Camden, New Jersey. I have no idea how much this hotel costs. They hotel was paid for by the our generous host. The only thing we paid for was the self parking at the lot down the street. The lot was very crowded on the days we that we stayed. The hotel is a typical Hampton Inn. We had two double beds. The beds were comfortable. Typical of Hampton Inns. When I first saw the breakfast area, I thought it was big. I was impressed that they had 4 waffle makers. Then reality struck when I went downstairs to eat breakfast with my daughter! It seemed as though all the guests staying at the hotel woke up at the same time to eat. The big breakfast area suddenly wasn't so big. Another 4 waffle makers would've been better. The breakfast staff were very helpful and friendly.

Reading Terminal and Chinatown are very close by. We had Chinese food twice, not by choice, since someone else paid. If you have had Chinese food from California, Vancouver, Toronto, or New York, there is no reason for you to go to Chinatown in Philly. The food is not good. Stay away. Reading Terminal was nice. One of the helpful breakfast staff told me that we should go there for a cheesesteak after I had complained about the famous Pat's and Geno's. She was right. The cheesesteak place was very good. Dinic's and their pork sandwich was also very good.

The only bad thing about this hotel was the pool. I swim a lot, but, never at a hotel. I have a pool at home. Exercise takes a break when I am on vacation. Hotel pools are normally too small for lap swimming. Since part of the group I was with wanted to swim or splash in the pool I decided to check out the pool. I immediately saw that the water level was too low. It was below the level of the skimmer...meaning that the water was not circulating properly. If I had my PH test kit, I would have checked the levels of the chemicals. I informed the building engineer that I saw passing by in the morning. After lunchtime, I decided to check again. Still low on water. This time I went to the front desk. About an hour later, they were filling the pool after complaints from other guests as well. I don't know what planet the building engineer was on. But, he should've taken immediate action. Perhaps he should be trained in basic pool maintenance.

It was an enjoyable stay for me. The pool didn't bother me since I was not going to swim anyways.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
roger_weber, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. The feedback is very important and will make us better. I'm glad you got to see some of Philly and experience some cheesesteaks...the best I believe is Jim's on South Street. The Reading Market is very different and we try to send most guests in that direction.
Roger Weber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
New Lenox
Reviewed July 10, 2012

June 21st thru the 25th. 2 out of 3 elevators broke down during our stay.
rooms do not have microwaves or mini-fridges. Did not use their other amenities.
Breakfasts are typical Hampton faire. The staff was nice and pleasant. We walked to wherever we went... be it business or pleasure.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for writing this review. I apologize for the elevator problem you encountered during your stay, unfortunately the elevator service technician could not repair until Monday. This is very rare and many people had to experience this. We have a great location and hope this worked well for you.
Avoca, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We (myself, husband and sister 11yrs old) arrived very early and as expected there were no rooms available yet. We were able to park in the self park lot (basically right across the street and down a few buildings) $25 pays for the full day till 3pm the next day. And the staff even apologized for not having anything available for us (there were still people checking out)! It gave us time to do what we had planned on anyway which was exploring Philly by foot. This was our first time in the city and we found it very convenient! Got lunch at Reading Market (YUM) went shopping and explored some of Chinatown (try bubble tea for something different).

By the time we circled back to the hotel it was around 330pm. The receptionist recognized me from earlier and welcomed me back! (Her name started with an "S" wish I could remember) I had just ask for a room with some view of the city for my sisters first trip because I had heard of people having views of loading docks. Well my sister was jumping for joy when we road the elevator up to the 11th floor. I think that seriously made her trip! She took the bed by the window, watched the sunset and enjoyed the city skyline! So thank you Hampton Inn! You made me look like the best big sister ever!

All the hotel amenities were nice very clean and updated. Our room was updated and a good size. We got to enjoy the pool and Jacuzzi. It is on the small side but it does the trick! I did not use the gym but it looked nice, clean and newer equipment.

Breakfast was the best hot breakfast I have had at a hotel this summer (3rd hotels the charm I guess) Lots of choices including healthy ones they had fresh fruit and an oatmeal station (add your own nuts and fruit). As well as the usual hot breakfast items.

I can not say enough good things about our stay. My sister has already begun talking about what we will do on our trip next year! I can't wait!

Room Tip: Use the special request option on the website when making reservations. This hotel seems to actually...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I'm really glad your sister loved the room and view. This review explained a lot of things we offer and I'm pleased you enjoyed the oatmeal with the toppings. The Reading Market is a must and all visitors need to visit.
Thanks for being our guest and hope to see you soon.
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel as part of a trip through Pennsylvania. We stopped in Philadelphia for two days and stayed here over the 4th of July holiday.

We got a great rate by booking in advance! We did have to pay to park our car ($25/night self park or $35/night valet). Everything is parked in the same lot down the street (about a half block away), so I recommend just doing the self park. During our stay, we found this hotel to be very clean and the staff were extremely friendly. Our room was beautiful and clean!

Breakfast was pretty delicious too and included eggs, waffles, bagels, muffins and other sides (hash browns or sausages, etc.). The hotel staff were in the breakfast area constantly wiping down tables, removing trash and restocking everything. There was plenty of room to sit and eat and hotel patrons could even sit outside with their breakfast.

This hotel was close to many locations, by foot, including City Hall, Chinatown, Love Park, Reading Terminal Market, PA Convention Center, JFK Park, Franklin Square and more. There are lots of shops within a few blocks, as well as numerous steak houses.

There is a pool in the basement (along with a jacuzzi) and fitness area. We used both the pool and jacuzzi and both were very clean!

We also purchased ice cream from the shop in the hotel and that was incredibly expensive. $7 or so for a pint of Ben & Jerry's (everything else seemed to be closed on the 4th of July). There is a 7-11 just a block away, so I'd recommend going there if you want some snacks! The staff were also extremely helpful in helping us navigate, by car, around the city on the 4th of July (many main streets were closed). The hotel also offered complimentary lemonade, cookies, and philly soft pretzels in the lobby.

We had a wonderful stay and have no complaints. We were also grateful that we weren't kicked out due to our toddler (who was sick with a high fever at the time) having a complete meltdown at 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. - screaming for about 30 minutes nonstop. I was thankful that no one came knocking on our door about the noise (which we believe exceeded the bounds of our room).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rosaprincess23
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City - Convention Center, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and touching upon so many things the hotel offers as well as the area amenities. Feedback is very important to us because it tells us how we are doing. We certainly appreciate all the nice things about the hotel and I hope your child didn't have too many meltdowns during your stay.
Thanks for being our guest and hope you have the opportunity to visit in the future.
Louisville, KY
Reviewed July 8, 2012

It was our first stay at this Hampton Inn. Great location near the downtown attractions. Staff were friendly, bed was extremely comfortable and room amenities were nice.

Pool was indeed small and not very clean. We had to try out the AC in three differentrooms before we found one that cooled adequately. In fact, the maintenance man finally just put a new AC unit in our room which did the job and helped us beat the 100 degree heat outside . Breakfast was good but space limited making it a bit hectic at times. Always love the fresh waffles

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank willhh
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We review all responses and use it as a tool to improve. I'm pleased you enjoyed the hotel's amenities and hotel staff.
Buenos Aires
Reviewed July 7, 2012

l recently stayed at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City-Convention Center, for the

second time in as many years, courtesy once again of Hilton Honors (30,000 points).

Reception at the front desk was courteous and businesslike, with no delays. The decor in the

lobby area is functional, and the furnishings are well maintained. l was pleasantly surprised by

the existence of a retracted sitting area, with 3 complementary PC workstations, available 24

hs. At the nearby (4 blocks away) Marriott-Philadelphia Downtown (1201 Market St, between N

12th St and N 13th St) internet access other than your own, is not free, and is restricted to

business hours, at an adjoining stationery store.

Once through the elevator door, you get that feeling that the rest of the hotel is somewhat

detached from the lobby area. Carpetting in the corridors is in good taste, and nicest of all, in

my view, was the decor in the bedroom, with good quality furnishings, mattress, bed linen and

cover. Comparatively, what struck me most was the bathroom. Better finished than the

ones l was given on 2 different occasions at the Marriott-Philadelphia Downtown, which one

may compare to a certain extent with the Hampton Inn. The bathrooms at the Marriott were

definitely due for modernization. However, on the positive side, the Marriott is a much larger

hotel, with a very nice lobby and bar/restaurant.

There is no bar at the Hampton Inn, so an ideal alternative is the mentioned lobby of the

Marriot-Philadelphia, where it is a true pleasure to sit in the rotunda and order drinks. The

lobby is generally milling with people. A very nice alternative for dinner, is to walk another

2-3 blocks to Fogo de Chao, the Brazilian steakhouse, at 1337 Chestnut St (please see my

review on Fogo, which l posted last year).

Unfortunately, l missed breakfast at the Hampton Inn, as l had to catch an early flight for San

Franscisco. But the breakfast l had last year was a pleasant surprise. The buffet was very

complete, including cooked breakfast. Breakfast was not included at the Marriott-Philadelphia

Downtown, albeit it is better situated, being 4-5 blocks closer to Market St than the Hampton

Inn. Again, mine was a complementary stay, but considering a total listed rate (1 King bed

nonsmoking) of $ 160.13, as of 7/07/12, as published by Hampton Inn, l can objectively say

that the Hampton Inn is a very good alternative for a 1-2 night stay in Philadelphia.

One last comment, taxis are radioed by the front desk, so if you're planning on a very early

departure, bear in mind that there may be a few minutes delay; but once on your way, the cab

ride to Philadelphia International, for example, is some $ 32 away including tip, for a 15-20

minute ride.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high up as possible, as the building is right up against Race St and N 13 th S...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. All the information you listed is valuable to future guests.The Hampton Inn Philadelphia has added a bar in the lobby and I'm sorry you missed it. You can also sit outside on the patio and enjoy breakfast or a cocktail.
Hope to see you again.
Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Staff was nice, parking was okay, breakfast was decent... The pool was gross. Disappointing as we were looking forward to swimming, however there was a number of floaters on the waters surface... Yuck!! :-/ granted its hard to find a nice pool in a hotel, it was a little bit of a let down. Other then the pool, it was a good experience.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. This feedback is extremely important and we use it as a tool to improve. We are addressing the problem with the pool and I understand your displeasure with it. I'm very pleased the hotel lived up to the standard you were expecting.