“Great!”

Sonny's Famous Steaks
Ranked #34 of 4,339 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Sonny's is known for its authentic, award-winning Philly Cheesesteaks just a few blocks from the Liberty Bell and National Constitution Center in the heart of historic Old City, Philadelphia. Sonny's is continually ranked number one on Philly Cheesesteak top ten lists, notably by GQ in 2014. We care about our sandwiches. We use 100% fresh Angus beef and slice it fresh every morning (most places order it sliced). Each sandwich is individually prepared to order (versus the now common practice of producing a batch of sandwiches at once). That's why both tourists and locals frequent Sonny's -- it's real, it's genuine, and it's delicious. Sonny's Cheesesteaks is in downtown Philly, convenient to hotels and sightseeing hubs. Tour groups and school groups flow in and out of local hotspot. We provide discounts to groups that book in advance on our website. We also have discounts for US Military, police officers, students and more! We pride ourselves on our friendliness. We love newcomers and are eager to teach folks everything and anything about cheesesteaks. Don't get nervous ordering, and please, ask questions! Sonny's is the real deal Philly cheesesteak experience -- and it's easy to get to by foot, cab, or subway (SEPTA 2nd Street Station). Feel free to call for directions or check online.
ca
“Great!”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

OK so I was never a big cheesesteak fan but now I get it. Sonny's gave us the real thing. Delicious, juicy sliced beef, plenty of mozzarella and a crusty bun. Really, really great. Glad I don't live near one or I would be "uge" as they say here.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank CaEmerald

• Korean first
  • Polish first
“Wish it was cleaner.”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This was the second time we were there and both time clean was not a word I would use to describe it. I wanted to be okay with it enough to enjoy our cheese steak contest but to be honest its kinda hard to ignore.

The staff was very friendly and the service was quick but I really wanted to ask how could they work like this?
What about pride? They did have work ethic I just don't understand. It is the last time we will go there. There are too many other places to go to put up with that.

I could understand if it were a food truck but lately since that is all the rage they have been amazing.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Best cheesesteaks in town!!!”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

You can't go to Philly and not try a cheesesteak, especially since they aren't very common in the south. First off, the south can't do them justice. Don't even bother until you get to Philly. I tried another place first and it was a great steak. But when I got here, this place just blew the other place clean out of the water. It was so good, I came back for a second the next day. I mean that good. Plus the service was extremely friendly. If you're going to pay for a cheesesteak, get it from the right place at least. Go to Sonny's.
It's right outside the 2nd Street subway station, on Market. Great outdoor seating as well. They're open every day and until midnight Fri and Sat I believe. They opened at 11 on Sunday.
If I'm ever back in the neighborhood, this is where I'm eating again. Great job guys!

Hillsborough NJ
“Good atmosphere, near the Liberty Bell”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

You don't have to go to Pats or Genos for steaks if you have friends visiting the Liberty Bell area. Sonny's has good old time atmosphere and good steaks, just a few minute's walk away, near 3rd street. Good fun with the staff, as they stumbled with French to the delight of our French visitors

Atlantic City, New Jersey
“Mmmm mmm good...”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I spent the day touring Philadelphia and stumbled across this place what a gem! The burgers are great. The cheese steaks are tasty. But to top it off these guys are great with customer service skills. They make you feel right at home and want to visit again and again. If you come across this place do stop in!

• Visited October 2013