“It Was Fine”

Sonny's Famous Steaks
Ranked #33 of 4,459 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Sonny's is known for its authentic, award-winning Philly Cheesesteaks just a few blocks from the Liberty Bell and National Constitution Center in the heart of historic Old City, Philadelphia. Sonny's is continually ranked number one on Philly Cheesesteak top ten lists, notably by GQ in 2014. We care about our sandwiches. We use 100% fresh Angus beef and slice it fresh every morning (most places order it sliced). Each sandwich is individually prepared to order (versus the now common practice of producing a batch of sandwiches at once). That's why both tourists and locals frequent Sonny's -- it's real, it's genuine, and it's delicious. Sonny's Cheesesteaks is in downtown Philly, convenient to hotels and sightseeing hubs. Tour groups and school groups flow in and out of local hotspot. We provide discounts to groups that book in advance on our website. We also have discounts for US Military, police officers, students and more! We pride ourselves on our friendliness. We love newcomers and are eager to teach folks everything and anything about cheesesteaks. Don't get nervous ordering, and please, ask questions! Sonny's is the real deal Philly cheesesteak experience -- and it's easy to get to by foot, cab, or subway (SEPTA 2nd Street Station). Feel free to call for directions or check online.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I went. I had a sandwich. It has cheese and steak it in. It was fine, but no better than take-out I get at home. Honestly, nothing wrong with it, but certainly not worth the "Philly" build up.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Look no further!

This was a great experience in its atmosphere, food quality, and customer service.
The Cheese Steaks are made with such care and good quality meat.
Wait in line briefly, order, pay, eat and enjoy!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I love cheesesteaks! Let me say this again... I LOVE CHEESESTEAKS!!! I've had them all over the U.S. and yes Philly makes them the best. Philadelphians may debate who has the best ones in the city, and some even bring up the touristy and to me only "ok" ones from Geno's and Pat's as "the best," but I personally only like a few places. Added to my list after trying one of their cheesesteaks is Sonny's on Market Street in Old City, Philly.

I walked in and immediately noticed that behind the counter they had a meat slicer with a piece of rib eye on it. YUM! Good sign! Next, I saw happy, eating, semi-messy customers. Another good sign! I ordered their "Classic" which is "Thinly Sliced Fresh Ribeye Beef And Fried Onions On A Bakery Roll With Cheez Whiz" according to the menu. I like ketchup on mine (so sue me) and I quickly got my cheesesteak (as in less than 4 minutes) and sat down to eat. VERY, VERY GOOD tasting sandwich with just enough of everything to make me really happy with my meal.

I read their wall menu and saw that they also offer regular and cheese wiz fries, hamburgers and other items as well. I will DEFINITELY go back for the "Classic" with ketchup, and maybe I'll try some other things there as well.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I had been to Jim's several years ago and was amazed by their cheese steak. But, the tour guide talked us into Sonny's, and it wasn't that great. The cashier was helpful, and insisted we get the Cheese Whiz, but it basically disappeared into the bread. I guess they want you to pay for extra cheese to get the proper amount. Any, I vote Jim's if you are a foodie and want an out-of-body experience!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just went to Philadelphia today with a friend who wanted to try a cheesesteak. I did a lot of research on here to see where to go. The "popular" places everyone said to go to don't seem to have many people suggesting a trip there here so after doing a lot of comparisons, I decided to try Sonny's. It was a good choice and I know why it seems to have many good reviews. I had a cheesesteak with provolone, onions and peppers and my friend had one with just provolone. They were both very good. My friend wanted some kind of condiment to put on it (not a normal cheesesteak thing), but they didnt have anything but ketchup. We got there about noon on a Monday and there were only a couple people in the place, but after we ordered and started eating, it filled up pretty fast. The food came hot off the grill made to order and wasnt processed and ready to go like some of the other places seem to do, but the wait for it wasnt more than about 5 mins. If we went to Philly again and had another cheesesteak I wouldnt hesitate to eat here again.