“Food great, organization and service atrocious”
Review of Cafe 943 - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cafe 943
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
“Food great, organization and service atrocious”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I walked into the place and stood there with others waiting for about 15 minutes. I had a reservation. I was never acknowledged. I finally approached one of the two servers and she informed me that she would clean a table and seat me. This happened, but much later. The servers have clearly never waited tables before and do not understand the concept of multitasking. Finally we were seated and after another 15 minutes the server showed up and we ordered.

The flavor of the food was excellent. The plates were refrigerator cold and the meat was not hot. The fork I used, bent each time I used it. It was the cheapest silverware I've ever used.

I was dining with an Argentine and he said, "well one thing is accurate, the noise level is just like Buenos Aires". It was extremely loud.

I watched one set of customers clean someone else's table, just so they could have a place to sit.

I watched one of the cooks walk out of the restaurant with an unlit cigarette in his mouth 3 times (2 times with a Tecate in his hands). At least he smoked the cigarette outside.

I watched one of the cooks scream curse words to one of the servers.

The servers were trying hard, but there were only two of them for the entire restaurant. With no host and no bus boy. It was very poor planning on a Saturday night.

Overall, food was great. Organization, preparation, and service… atrocious.

• Visited November 2012

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent food, good service, interesting setting”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

My friend and I had an absolutely lovely experience eating at 943. The food was delicious - I would recommend any seafood that they serve. We had some salmon and squid that tasted fresh and was prepared wonderfully.

Service was friendly but a little slow. Open kitchen was nice to dine near, but the table set up was a little strange... I think they could rearrange a bit to make it nicer.

Overall, definitely worth it!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Ashley H
Tokyo, Japan
“I am sad”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I am sad because the food is good. But I am going to rate this place as lowest- they should realize how customer who has groupon and never get access for reservation and missed the chance to get a deal. I called them so many times during the day and they never answer my call. I finally could reach them on the day before the coupon expire around 10pm but was told the next day was fully booked so we missed the day that the copon expires. Well I call them so many times but no reply! Then when I was connected, I complained and explained the situation, and the person on the phone seemed to understand and just said you are OK. But reality is, when we ate there and was going to redeem, they said no, it did only redeem what you had already paid and no more. What??? So Are you intententionally doing this (That my impression b/c they never answer my call)?? Food is good but I ended up being very ver disappointed .

Visited March 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“authentic Argentine restaurant with great food and service!”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I spent a month traveling in Argentina and this restaurant has all of the traditional dishes and does them very well. Homemade empanadas - best in the city! - chorizo was excellent - flan with Dulce de leche -- yum! Really enjoyed this dinner and service was great. Everything came with or in really tasty sauces and they had crusty homemade bread perfect for dipping.

• Visited February 2012
“Sorry, but Opentable screwed up!”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

This weekend I had friends who wanted to try this new restaurant. They had made a reservation via Opentable. When we showed up for our 8pm reservation there was a short scramble and were told they've been having problems with Opentable, and even though we could show them the reservation, the response was oh well we are booked. Sorry.

Now I am not in the food service business so I may be a bit naive, but if this were my restaurant would have done the following: a) I would apologize multiple times, b) I would offer to fit you in asap, and c) if all else fails I would have called a couple of the other local restaurants where I might know someone and try to find a way to accommodate my party. Instead at 8pm on a Saturday night I am left searching for a restaurant.

Is their food any good? Who care if their service at step 1 stinks. I am left to let my imagination wander, and in this case it's not good.

There is a positive to this story. I call up one of the Vetri properties and though packed to the gills, they found a way to fit my party in and we had a great meal. Thank goodness someone understands service.

• Visited February 2012