“Sorry, but Opentable screwed up!”
Review of Cafe 943 - CLOSED

Cuisines: Argentinean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2012

This weekend I had friends who wanted to try this new restaurant. They had made a reservation via Opentable. When we showed up for our 8pm reservation there was a short scramble and were told they've been having problems with Opentable, and even though we could show them the reservation, the response was oh well we are booked. Sorry.

Now I am not in the food service business so I may be a bit naive, but if this were my restaurant would have done the following: a) I would apologize multiple times, b) I would offer to fit you in asap, and c) if all else fails I would have called a couple of the other local restaurants where I might know someone and try to find a way to accommodate my party. Instead at 8pm on a Saturday night I am left searching for a restaurant.

Is their food any good? Who care if their service at step 1 stinks. I am left to let my imagination wander, and in this case it's not good.

There is a positive to this story. I call up one of the Vetri properties and though packed to the gills, they found a way to fit my party in and we had a great meal. Thank goodness someone understands service.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

I called the night before we expected to dine at 943 to make reservations and inquire about bringing food for our 8 yr. old granddaughter. We wanted her to eat off of the menu, but if she didn't find anything would they be offended if she ate a PB sandwich. The young lady on the phone assured me that would be just fine.

We arrived a little early for our reservations, but they seated us right away. We were given our menus and our server immediately asked the granddaughter if she liked spaghetti and what kind of sauce would she like. That server knew that if she attended to her that our meal would go smoothly. I also think she was the person that I had spoken with the evening before.

We were so hungry and loved the salami and cheese, and the bread and oil with the peppers. We got the empanadas for our first and our entres were the skirt steak and the raviolis. That night the tender pastas were filled with crab and lobster with a light cream sauce. We had wanted to have some grilled octopus but it arrived late. We had read about the desserts and while full we still couldn't pass it up. I had the lemon cookie filled with the most satisfying caramel. It was dusted with powdered sugar and fresh coconut. Everyone else had the chocolate molten cake. It speaks for itself.

Our granddaughter ate every bit of the pasta. We had been in Charleston with her at a very well rated restaurant and they refused to fix her anything that wasn't exactly as stated on the menu. All we wanted was a piece of grilled chicken. I have to give 943 and our server props for being so accommodating. How do children learn to eat in nice places if you don't take them.

There were two tables of 10 or more parties and the atmosphere was quieter than you might imagine.

By the time we left (7pm) there were only two tables empty. I have heard that 943 has had a slow start. This is a worthy eatery and though, we live an hour away I am looking forward to when we can dine there again.

1  Thank jana1954
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My wife is from Argentina, so we had to try out 943. Having been to Argentina a handful of times myself, there was probably no way the restaurant was going to recreate the experience and be fully satisfying, but it came close.

We had the mixed grill for our entre. It was very good, but they were out of the rib section, which unfortunately is typically the best part. The homemade chorizo was amazing.

The staff was very nice and kept apologizing for 'the wait', but I thought the meal was paced wonderfully. The chef came around later and my wife struck up conversation. He offered us free desert for the missing rib section, which be said was not necessary, but it came anyway. (awesome)

Please patronize this restaurant. I think he had some trouble getting off the ground but it deserves a good chance. You'll be happy you did.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

Decided to visit this restuarant after seeing a review in the Philly Inquirer. Had a very nice meal, reasonably priced BYOB. Family owned and operated. Our waitress was very friendly and outgoing. We'll definatetly be back.

1  Thank Tony L
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Visited Cafe 943 with friends who had been there before and wanted to introduce us to it. This BYOB family-run restaurant is located right in the midst of the 9th St. market area. We enjoyed all our selections. We started with an empanada trio. Next we had caesar salads. For entrees we had skirt steak, fish and grilled short ribs. Each came with fingerling potatoes and green beans. For dessert we had homemade cookies -- light and delicious. By the time we left about 9:00 pm on a Saturday night the place was full with customers of all ages. Attentive service by family members and the chef visits each table.

1  Thank theotherjjs