“Good Food Cheap Prices” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese
Tarpon Springs, Florida
“Good Food Cheap Prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

My wife and I were touring Philadelphia and were out for the day. When touring a city or attraction we prefer not to take the time for long sit down lunches or dinners. We wanted Chinese for a light dinner but weren’t sure where to go. Of course we had heard China Town was the best place to go, but as we are not familiar with it had no idea which restaurant to go to.
We happen to be passing the “New Heaven” Chinese Restaurant off the corner of Walnut and 12th Street and a banner on the outside caught my eye. The banner said something to the effect “Voted one of the top 100 Chinese Restaurants in America” by some organization I had never heard of. So we decided to give it a try. Upon entering we noticed that it was very new and very clean. Not decorated with the usually Chinese décor. The help were friendly and sat us immediately, and appeared to be family run.

I ordered the General Tso Chicken with Hot-Sour soup and my wife ordered Beef & Broccoli with Won Ton soup. Both dishes included an egg roll and fried rice.

My General Tso chicken was medium sized chunks of pure white meat as opposed to sometimes it being mixed white and dark. It was lightly coated, not a heavy glaze. The sauce was medium color and medium texture and very tasty. The broccoli was fresh and crisp. The fried rice was firm but not hard or sticky. The soup was also thick, had an abundance of ingredience and medium hotness. The eggroll on the other hand was not very tasty.

Mt wife said her food was excellent and the beef was like butter. As mine, ditto on the broccoli and the fried rice.

No paper dragons or lanterns or flying utensils just a nice new clean restaurant suitable for families on a budget wanting a quick lunch or dinner.

• Visited June 2011