“Great hotel for the price”

Club Quarters Hotel in Philadelphia
Ranked #16 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed July 6, 2006

I took my husband to Philly earlier this week and wanted a cheap hotel, since we only stayed one night. We got the train to Market East Station, which was a 10 minute walk away. It's not terribly close to all of the attractions, but that's not big deal. There are loads of Septa busses and Phlash busses as welll as taxis. It's not at all in a bad area. It's by a Rite Aid and right across from (I believe) a Ruby Tuesdays. We walked from South Street back to the hotel in about 30 minutes. It's a great walk. The hotel itself was better than I thought. The room was a good size for 2 people, and there was plenty of room for another cot. The bathroom was small, but it's not like you need a bathroom the size of a double bedroom in a hotel. The shower was actually pretty big, two people can fit in it. The one thing I was confused about was the fact that there was the coffee maker on the counter above the toilet. Not very sanitary, unless you feel the need to make a cup of coffee whilst on the toilet. I found the staff to be very friendly, especially the blonde lady. We didn't eat at the hotel, but went to Reading Terminal Market for breakfast and South Street for dinner. I must have stayed at a different hotel than some because I thought it was great for the price. So what if it's a 20 minute walk away from some places? It's an excuse to walk instead of being lazy.

• Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank happyutopia

Reviewed July 1, 2006

I have just returned from staying six nights at the Club Quarters in Philly. At first I was nervous about staying there after reading some of the reveiws but the price and location could not be beat. And I'm glad I did. The front desk was very helpful when we arrived showing us how to "self" check in. I was on the 7th floor the room had a queen bed, desk, closet, bathroom with a shower. The decor was very pleasant. The room very clean. I requested additional towels and a luggage rack and they were promptly delivered.

My husband and I loved the location we were able to walk from one end of the city to the other. And you could pick up the Phlash bus across the street. We would have our breakfast at the Marathon Grill right around the corner; on 16th street large portions at great prices. The hotel is perfect if you want to be in the heart of the city. It is not a hotel for those who are used to being coddled if thats what your looking for stay at the Sofietel around the corner. Club Quarters offers a great location, clean rooms, curteous services at a resonable price. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank gueyduck
A TripAdvisor Member
Rochester, MN
Reviewed June 28, 2006

Where to start? Staff indifferent at best. I practically begged for a quiet room and was awarded one on the 5th floor with a HUGH air conditioning compressor (that apparently belonged to the building next door) right outside my window. Back to the desk and was told that was the best they had to offer. Were it not for a sleeping pill I would have not gotten any sleep that night. They did move me the next day, after I again begged for a quieter room, to a somewhat quieter room on the 7th floor. It was no jewel. It was so small the closet couldn't even handle an ironing board or iron. The 2nd room was also very noisy, especially at night. The hotel apparently made no provision for any type of sound proofing, not even thermal window panes. The electricity went out twice in one day for a total of about 11 hours; the second time was about 10:00 PM and stayed off for about 2.5 hours. The air conditioner made so much noise cycling on/off that I got the room as cold as possible before I went to bed and turned it off during the night. Good location to downtown, reasonably priced but not worth it. Every other downtown hotel was full or I would have moved!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 16, 2006

What can I say about a hotel we "almost" stayed in? My husband had made reservations on-line about two months in advance for two nights on Memorial Day weekend. We flew from Florida to Philadelphia, rented a car, and went directly to the hotel. My husband checked in with a young man at the front desk. This man took our confirmation sheet, pulled up our reservation on their computer and told us our room was not ready yet - go have lunch and our room would be ready when we returned. We returned about an hour and a half later, went to check in and were told by a lady at the desk that we had no reservation with them. We told them we certainly did and that the young man at the desk had helped us and had our confirmation sheet. He then glanced around, said he no longer had it and that it was "lost". To make a long story short, we were told that our confirmation sheet was probably in their dumpster in the alley (honestly, that's what they said!) and that we could go look for it, otherwise, too bad, no room for us. Not once was their an apology, an offer to work things out, to help us find a room elsewhere - not one word of kindness. Never in my life have I been treated so coldly and unkind and we have traveled worldwide. By the time we left there I was nearly in tears and just wanted to leave the city of brotherly love. There is no doubt in my mind that Club Quarters had overbooked for the holiday weekend and found a way to dump us on the street and make room for someone else. Lessons learned: Never, ever give up your confirmation sheet and don't expect humane treatment from the staff at Club Quarters.

7  Thank Bunco1
Reviewed June 12, 2006

I stayed in the Club Quarters June 1-4th on a trip to Philadelphia. I was there primarily to see the historical attractions, which I was very disappointed to learn were a long walk from the hotel - 25 min.! I picked this hotel because reviewers said it was close to attractions; unfortunately, after a long day of sightseeing, I do not want to walk 25 min. back to my hotel through some really shady areas. The Phlash bus picks you up right up the street, but it only operates 10-6:00, which aren't convenient hours at all. I definitely don't agree that you can walk to all the attractions - this is NOT the place to stay at if you have difficulty walking, or would like to be near the historical sites.

The check-in process is chaotic at best, and I do agree wholeheartedly with the other reviewers - the staff here is VERY rude and unaccomodating. They are overwhelmed and cranky.

I was lucky enough to get a room right on the lobby level (2nd floor) and the room was very large and absolutely GORGEOUS. The decor was so rich and vibrant, it looked like a grand stateroom. The window was huge, and I had a terrific view of downtown. The bed was just heavenly - VERY comfortable! I have back problems and I never sleep well in hotels, but this was soooo comfortable. There's a dreamy down comforter and comfy pillows, too. I slept like a baby, until...

...the fire alarm went off for no reason at 2:45am. We had had a thunderstorm, and the front desk staff said it was due to the weather. The alarm was VERY loud (loud enough that you MUST leave the room) and it went off until the fire department shut it off at 3:15am. The alarm then went off again at 4:00, 4:15, and continuously from 6:15am to 8:15am!!! Needless to say, I got absolutely no sleep. The night manager was very apologetic and explained that they don't know what's wrong and they would make it up to us, however, when I checked out and asked for a refund, he wasn't there, and the staff there were EXTREMELY rude, unapologetic, and unaccomodating. I got a very huff "That was due to the weather, we can't control that" and I got no reimbursement whatsoever.

This hotel is about a 5 min. walk from Suburban Station - I found it very convenient to take the R1 train directly from the airport to the station and then walk to the hotel. The fare is only $5.50 - MUCH cheaper than the $25 cab fare you'd pay.

Their restaurant, Davio's, is WONDERFUL! Absolutely delicious gourmet food, wonderful service, a great bar, nice atmosphere, and a very very pleasant meal. Entrees are what I would expect to pay for a fine establishment - $20-$40.

However, I would absolutely not recommend you stay here. They're very unpredictable, unreliable, and unaccomodating. You just can't depend on them for a pleasant stay (or a good night's sleep!!).

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank Rich95
Reviewed June 6, 2006

The first thing you see is the dirty, stained carpet that greatly detracts from the room quality. I was in several rooms and they all looked the same. The major problem, however, was the uncaring, unfriendly, incompetent Front Desk staff. One example - when we checked in at 3PM, I asked for a luggage rack for the room, they called and woke me at 11PM to tell me there were none) However, there are plusses, great location, nice lobby area with lots of chairs and sofas, 3 computers for guest use (free printing), large TV. The rooms, though smallish, are a great deal for the great center city location. Nice furniture, decent linens, good lighting. Clean/Replace the carpets, and a new staff would raise this hotel rating.

3  Thank Diane0314
Reviewed June 5, 2006

stopped with three friends (in two rooms) for 2 nights early May. Both rooms were twin rooms with ample space and ensuite bathroom.

We basically used this as a base, as we were out all day and night (at night watching baseball).

Excellent location, right in the middle of town, handy for the underground. There is an underground parking lot opposite underneath a shopping complex, the hotel will give a discount on the parking.

For the limited time we were there, we had no problems with anything in the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2006