“Location, Location, Location”

Club Quarters Hotel in Philadelphia
Ranked #11 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
“Location, Location, Location”
Reviewed June 24, 2005

Stayed at the Club Quarters for one night in the middle of the week. I will echo the sentiments about the staff not being the friendliest, but I really didn't have many problems that needed attention. Check-in was seamless and we were on our way.

The rooms are small so I don't recommend this hotel for people travelling with children. But by yourself or a spouse is more than adequate. My room was clean, the bed was comfortable and yes, the bathroom is small. But I don't spend much time in the bathroom.

It was about 11 blocks to walk to the Liberty Bell area, which I didn't mind at all. Otherwise, it's a $5 cab ride (plus tip).

There are several restaurants and nightclubs very close. There is a pharmacy right next door and as someone else mentioned, it is very close to shopping.

For those who complained about this hotel, good luck finding anything under $100 that is that close to everything and it even half as nice as this hotel was. I would stay there again in a minute. Because this is such a "business traveler" hotel, they have great weekend rates.

I was quite pleased with the overall value.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 12, 2005

Rooms were very small and smelly. Staff was rude and unprofessional. Took over 1 1/2 hours to get a response for a request for an ice bucket. Stayed only 4 hours even though we had paid for two nights because the staff was so unprofessional and unhelpful. I do not recommend this hotel for anyone.

• Stayed June 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 5, 2005

We got our reservation for Club Quarters - Philadelphia through Hotwire. Initially, I was disappointed when the hotel was revealed as this hotel, since I knew nothing about it. Immediately I went to tripadvisor to read up. I felt somewhat better but was still quite scared that we had made a mistake. I am usually very picky and didn't think I was going to enjoy my stay.

As we drove to the hotel, I started to feel better... we passed quite a few good restaurants and a lot of shopping that looked interesting. There was a mall directly across the street (which is where the hotel parking is).

As we entered the building, it seemed fine. It is more of a private club atmosphere than a hotel. There isn't really any "service" such as bellboys, etc. but this was fine with us since we are pretty self-sufficent and were only spending a weekend. The lobby had a very comfortable feel and check in was quick and easy.

Our room was a pleasant surprise... not spectacular but definately comfortable and had lots of extras. Other reviewers have mentioned the room/bathrooms size and I agree with them...the rooms are NOT huge but ours was a great size for us. It had a microwave, range, coffepot, tea kettle, fridge, a bar/desk area for eating of working, free wireless usage, a tv AND dvd player (which was great since we brought some to play on our laptop). The bathroom was very small but was fine with us since we didn't spend much time in the hotel room.

If you want modern and sleek (which I personally love...) THIS IS NOT IT, however I really enjoyed staying at Club Quarters. I would definately stay here again!

My only complaints: no extra pillows in the room and the walls needed to be washed. However, it still was cleaner than our stay at the Loews last year (which has a great look). Our room at the Loews was REALLY dirty!

• Stayed June 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago
Reviewed April 17, 2005

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. I was worried about the room space after reading several reviews. It wasn't too bad. My b/f and I stayed there and there was decent space for the both of us. It was on the smaller side but we managed. The bathroom was average, it didn't have a tub but neither of us minded that. It's conveniently located where you can walk to restaurants, shops and local stores around the area. The free wireless internet service in all the rooms was nice. The self check in/out was convenient. The staff was somewhat helpful. Some of them were a bit..snooty..(perhaps it being East Coast?). Nonetheless it's an okay stay for your money.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank Julie01
Gettysburg Pa
Reviewed April 1, 2005

After reserving the Club Quarters through Priceline ($80 per night) and reading the reviews here, I was really concerned about what I had gotten my family into. My main concern was room size. Almost every review I read commented on how small the rooms were. Some even noted that they were too small for more than one person. Also a concern was that I had read it was "not for kids", even though we only have one child. Anyway, I don't know if we just got lucky, or if it was because I called the hotel directly after I made the reservation...but we were very pleasantly surprised! Our room was on the 12th floor, and plenty big enough for the three of us. It was clean, nicely decorated, had two large skylights, a microwave and refridgerator. In my opinion, the Club Quarters was great, and a wonderful value. I would not hesitate to stay there again. However, our room had a shower stall (no bathtub), no window (but had the skylights) and one queen bed (we had to request a rollaway). I can't speak for the rest of the rooms, but mention these things for those who might think it important. The biggest drawback for us was the parking situation. We paid about twenty dollars per night to park at a nearby garage. But again, when you pay $80 for a hotel room in center city Philadelphia, I guess you can't complain about a $20 parking fee.

• Stayed March 2005
4 Thank Travelinfan
Reviewed March 29, 2005

Recent posters have noted the same things that I experienced. Expect minimal service, from check-in to check-out. Lobby on second floor. To access guest rooms, you need to swipe you key in the elevator to punch in a floor number. Rooms small, bathrooms small. Clean and fairly recently renovated. I was skeeved by the bedspead. Slept horribly, itching all night. Maybe something in their detergent? Coffemaker in room nice.
Hard to give a "bad" review or a "good" review. It was OK. I was in the city for an interview and this is where the company put me.
Computer with internet access in lobby nice.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mid-Atlantic States
Reviewed March 29, 2005

I just returned from a relaxed, inexpensive overnight stay at the Club Quarters hotel in Philadelphia. I had read an assortment of reviews about this particular property in CQ 's international group of hotels, and those reviews caused some anxiety prior to arriving in Philly. However, I believe that a traveler should judge a hotel, or any other location for that matter, for himself or herself. Thus, I am pleased to report on my findings but ask you to try out this CQ hotel next time you are in Philadelphia but on a budget.

After departing 30th Street Station in Philly, 10 minutes later I stepped out of the taxi (a $5.60 fare -- not bad) in front of an inconspicuous building next to a Rite Aid. I knew that the building housing this Club Quarters hotel, at 1628 Chestnut Street, used to be a bank, and so I was not put off by the lack of fanfare one usually sees outside of a 3 1/2 star hotel. There was a security guard there who opened the door for me, but I later saw that there is not always a security guard downstairs. But I found the overall security to be fair, especially since the lobby is not located on the ground floor (it is on the second floor).

Checking in was a breeze because I checked my NYC attitude at the door. A pleasant smile on my face, I greeted the front-desk personnel and presented two items: the credit card that I used to book the room and a printout of the e-mailed confirmation number for my prepaid reservation. I was provided with verbal instructions on how to do an express checkout (an excellent system!), as well as given a brochure on touring options in Philadelphia. In the spacious lobby, there also were plenty of brochures from which to choose, including mini restaurant cards for famous eateries such as Geno's, Pat's Steaks, Jim's Steaks, Moshulu and Susanna Foo. Before checking out my room, I asked whether the on-site restaurant (Davio's) served breakfast and was told it did not, but I was provided with the names of eateries nearby (within one to two blocks) that served breakfast.

Keeping in mind that I was staying in Center City, which is Philly's business district, and that I arrived on the Saturday before Easter, I prepared for lots of closed venues. Not so! And to my (and other guests') delight! City Hall, one of the most beautiful and ancient buildings in Philadelphia, was just three long city blocks away (a five-minute walk).

As for the room itself, it was an efficiency upgrade, so I had a microwave oven in the room, a coffee pot in the bathroom (odd, but nice!), high ceilings, a TV with cable and reference materials on a shelf above the desk. Both the room and the corridors were spotless. My stay was quiet as well.

About the lobby: It is large and it is also cozy because of the many sofas and chairs. There are two computers with free, 24-hour Internet access, with a 30-minute limit per guest. I must admit that the last feature really enticed me to book a room at Club Quarters, aside from the $89/night price and the location, location, location.

By the way, directly across from CQ is Liberty Place, a mall in a high-rise building -- a building that forms a significant part of the Philadelphia cityscape.

Special tip #1: Take a trolly tour (------). I paid $23.00 (worth every penny) in cash when the complimentary shuttle picked me up in front of Club Quarters. (You can order your ticket or tickets on-line in advance of your trip.) The brightly colored trolley takes you around all of the famous sights in Philly, and you can hop on and off wherever there is a trolley stop. So, for example, if you want to shop at Reading Terminal Market, just get off the trolley when it stops to pick up additional passengers (carrying their tickets). The one thing to remember about the tour is that you must reserve your seat or seats by calling the aforementioned phone number 20 minutes to a half-hour before the start of the next tour. The trolley tours start daily at 9:30 a.m. and continue every half-hour. That means that after you hop off a trolley at a particular attraction, even if you spend hours at that place, you know there will be another trolley coming. You must keep in mind, however, that the last tour is at 4 p.m. They have night tours, but you should call the number I provided to find out about reservations and cost. I must mention that you also should ask Bev at ----- whether your hotel is served by the free shuttle that picks you up at your hotel and returns you there after the trolley tour. If you are staying at any hotel in Center City, you can be sure that the complimentary shuttle will be able to serve you.

Special tip #2: If you want to see special exhibits or go to the world-famous Philadelphia Zoo, do your best to buy your tickets on-line in advance of your trip. Sometimes there are Zoo packages connected to certain Philly hotels.

Special tip #3: After checking into your hotel, get to the Independence Visitors Center as soon as you can so you can pick up tickets (paid or free) to attractions that require tickets, such as the Liberty Bell. Luckily I saw the Bell when I was 11 or 12 because I had no time to pick up a ticket on this trip.

Special tip #4: If you are taking the train to Philly and arriving at 30th Street Station, you do not have to take a taxi cab to reach Club Quarters. Unless your bags are extremely heavy, save the $5.60 or $6.00 by catching the SEPTA train at 30th Street Station and ride it one stop to Suburban Station. The fare at Suburban Station is free!

26 Thank gogoboots_in_white