“Hard to find anything positive about dinner served to three”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Farmers' Cabinet - CLOSED

The Farmers' Cabinet
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Walnut Street between 11th and 12th
Transit: Easily accessible from the Broad Street Line - Walnut/Locust stop, or the Market Frankford Line (The El) - 11th Street stop.
Description: Early American era saloon and dining. Devoted to heirloom American cuisine, classically derived cocktails, and European & American craft beer. Enjoy our euro and domestic charcuterie, including house-made sausages, along with locally sourced food and field game.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Hard to find anything positive about dinner served to three”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Let me qualify my opinion. Two of us are excellent at cooking from training at the CIA. The other was a woman with us who has had many excellent restaurant meals. We were uniformly underwhelmed at the experience here on a Wed. evening. Pea tendril salad description mouth watering on menu. Tendrils okay but not many, carrot was 3 paper thin slices, chevre was two small lumps, hazelnut vinagrette seemed missing, but waitress affirmed it wasn't. Smoked lamb leg @ 29.00 - but not worth $4.00, was dry overcooked 3 slices with no smoked flavor, on mashed sunchokes and supposedly sugar snap peas - (all two peas) . I wouldn't believe a good chef would have released these from a kitchen unless he/she would have consumed lots of the excellent beer served here. Good pub with loud music if you like that kind of atmosphere. I didn't. My friends thought meal mediocre at best.

• Visited August 2013

Hershey
“Great little place for happy hour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stopped in here to rest our weary feet. Known to have great food and the atmosphere and staff is great. We did not eat this visit but enjoyed the $5.00 fizzes. Yum. We sat at a table by the open door and could enjoy the beautiful weather without the constant rush of people passing by. Very enjoyable.

• Visited August 2013
NJ
“A Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I notice that reviews for this place have all been mediocre in the past couple of months -- I think the primary chefs and staff must have gone away for the summer! We were the only ones in the back area dining room area, and no one came in all evening (although there were a few people in the front at the bar). The waiter was pleasant enough, especially when discussing the beers, which are obviously the selling point in this place. But after we ordered food, and then had some problems with it, he was indifferent and mostly absentee. Some of the food was OK, but most was not what was described on the menu. For instance, the aioli sauce that would have livened up the unseasoned fried oysters simply wasn't there, and we had to track down the waiter to ask for it on the side. And their special strawberry rhubarb bread pudding seemed to contain neither strawberries nor rhubarb -- the waiter mumbled something about being sure there was some strawberry jam (?!) in there somewhere.

We would have left early and certainly never stayed for dessert if it weren't for the two blues musicians who were playing in the background of our empty room. They added a nice atmosphere and were fun to talk to, and we felt like offering them some support.

But we'd certain never go back to this place or recommend it to anyone. Philadelphia has too many good restaurants to waste your time here.

• Visited July 2013
Sewell, New Jersey
“Great beer, ok food, terrible service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

The beer selection is very good. The short rib flatbread and the pulled pork were good, everything else was just ok. It took a long time to get a drink and our appetizers arrived After our meals. Our waiter seemed to always disappear.

• Visited June 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“Food good but staff needs a workshop on treating customers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I stopped at the Farmer's Cabinet last night before attending a performance at the Walnut Street Theater. We had no knowledge of the FC but were walking by and decided to give it a try. There are two entrances, one by the dining room and one by the bar. Both were blocked by tables so we made our way in via the bar. No one greeted us as the bartender was right there cleaning glasses. We headed to the dining room and almost tripped over a step that was a surprise. We went to the hostess who asked us to wait while she tied menus together (huh??).

We were seated at a long table and sat on a bench. I realize the table and bench concept is to evoke an earlier age but they did have chairs back "in the day". Our waiter was friendly and professional and made us feel at home. We shared an appetizer and a dessert and each of us ordered a sandwich. All of the food was quite good and the portions were plenty big. Our plates for the various courses were brought to us by servers who were not our waiter. He rarely appeared at the table to ask how things were.

The beer selection is amazing. The waiter asked what type of beer I might prefer and I asked for a wheat beer. He seemed stumped at the request and then suggested a beer that did not meet the request. I knew it was a good beer so I agreed to it. I was definitely surprised that he seemed lacking in knowledge about beer in an establishment that has such an excellent selection. Late in the meal, I noticed on the menu that we had arrived during "happy hour" which made beers half price (nice!). I decided to have a second beer but realized it was now 8 minutes past "happy hour". The waiter informed me sheepishy that I missed the happy hour cutoff. How can a waiter not inform a beer drinker of the "Happy Hour" special offer? That is terrible.

I would not go back to Farmer's Cabinet. I would definitely recommend the food and the beer. The prices are also very reasonable. However, the staff (on this evening) is definitely in need of a tune-up.

• Visited June 2013