“Don't bother, even if you have a Travelzoo certificate”

Vango Lounge & Skybar
Ranked #2,657 of 4,428 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sansom
Transit: Septa Route 21: 18th & Chestnut Streets Septa Routes 9, 40,: 18th & Walnuts Streets 3 Blocks from Market Frankford and Broad Street Lines
Description: Contemporary Lounge/Restaurant + Skybar overlooking Center City and located in Rittenhouse Square. Featuring Continental Japanese Cuisine and Sushi served until 1:30am. Daily Happy Hour from 5-7pm Open 7 days a week with nightly DJs spinning the best dance tunes.Awesome roof-top Skybar to lounge and enjoy delicious specialty cocktails under the stars.
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I have never been to a place that seems quite so unhappy you are there. They don't want to serve you their crappy drinks, the creepy owner just sits next to the bar and visually molests the staff, and the drinks and food aren't even worth the built in tax and gratuity they charge. Honestly, the drinks are awful, and the sushi wasn't bad. But factor in Marco from Tropoja as the owner, and the contempt from the servers, and you should just sit at home and give yourself paper cuts with the certificate, you will enjoy it more than your dining experience.

4  Thank Snakesdonteatpeople
There are newer reviews for Vango Lounge & Skybar

Reviewed May 9, 2012

I read the reviews before I went and was very skeptical. But I went anyways to check it out. I had purchased vouchers from Travelzoo and didn't want to lose my money. I went on a Tue night at 7:30. I made reservations, but didn't need too. It wasn't packed at all. And it wasn't like they weren't going to seat us. I think they 'require' it, just to get your money - Warning, when you make reservations online, they charge you $25. But remind them at the end of dinner to apply the amount to your bill or they can write you a check. They delivered the bill and forgot to put it on there, so I had to remind them again. Also, they WILL add 20% gratuity to the bill and it was just me and my husband, but we were going to tip that anyways, so we were okay with it. We had a new girl who was very friendly. The girl training her could have smiled a little more. She seemed a bit annoyed.

The Fish tacos were delicious and so was the sushi. I highly recommend those. The meatballs and quesadilla were average. For drinks, I had the Vango Martini and Mango Mojito, both very yummy. I guess because it was slow, the upstairs was closed but they let me check it out. Very cool up there! But not worth paying the bottle service I read about in other reviews (min $100).

The decor sounds much better when you read about it on their website, but when you get there, it's pretty mellow. the Absolut bottles in the wall looked very plain and half-assed. The other pillowed wall look dingy. The sofas were nice if you're looking for a place to lounge with girlfriends or get close on a date. If you're on the other side of the table, you get an ottoman without a back to rest on (a little uncomfortable after a while.)

All in all, I would go back, but wouldn't go out of my way to make arrangements again.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

THIS PLACE IS HORRIBLE. Our group of 5 went this past Saturday and went suspicously since we had to provide a credit card deposit of $50.00 to make the reservation (SCAM). When we arrived we told them we had 2 Travelzoo certificates which we paid $35 each for. We were asked if we wanted to allow the deposit to ride to help pay any additional charges or if we wanted a check. We took the check. The food was mediocre except for the cheese burger which wasn't bad. At the completion of our meal we waited 45 minutes to an hour before our server came back to our table. During that long period of time we thought we would go up to the roof top deck and take in the view. The bouncer assigned to the bottom of the stairway refused anyone to go upstairs unless they had a cocktail (SCAM), one of us tried to go upstairs with a glass of water but was sent back to our table. So we were forced to drink addional alchohol to go to see the view (IS THIS LEGAL). When we received the check we were shocked to see that we had each been charged 20% gratuity to our total charge of what we paid for plus the $35 dollar coupon (SCAM). When we questioned our server she became rude and very short. I pointed out to her that the gratuity is for good service and not a required fee and also pointed out to her that she was missing for almost an hour. The server became defensive and stated that she had an emergency to attend to and she had told someone else to watch our table. We requested to speak to the Manager which I also believe was the owner. When trying to explain to him what we just experienced he too became defensive and beligerent and condescending. When I asked to have my credit card back I was told NO by the server and by the manager. When I beacme LOUD and requested by credit card to be returned and for the police to be called there were bouncers surrounding our table. When I reached for my credit card from the server the Manager/Owner pushed and shoved me back. The Manager said he wouldn't charge us anything for our meal, gave me my credit card back and started yelling CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP as we tried to leave. Today, two days later we learn that the check we were given had a stop payment (SCAM) and the credit card used to provide a deposit on the reservation being kept on time was charged $50 (SCAM). This place is a nightmare and if anyone is thinking about going there please do yourself a favor and DON'T GO. I plan to contact the better business and possibly press charges against the Manager Owner for physically assaulting me.

7  Thank walter k
Reviewed June 2, 2011

We were greeted by a friendly bartender in a gorgeous bar with blue lighting. Our table was by the window downstairs, and there is also an open seating area upstairs with a great city building view and a feeling of relaxation.
The waitress is a very pretty, warm and helpful girl who suggested some excellent dishes, all very flavorful and prepared beautifully. She was very attentive, I would recommend this place to anyone! The music was techno and fun.
We would definitely recommend the Seared Scallops, Seafood Vegetable Spring Rolls, Sushi, Pan Fried U-Don Japanese Noodle (YUMYUM!) and Sweet Ginger Napoleon for dessert-delicious!

1  Thank ElaineMariaM