“Special Occasion”
Review of Talula's Garden

Talula's Garden
Reserve with OpenTable
Talula's Garden is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 4,351 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 7th between Walnut and Locust
Description: Behind the wrought iron gate, past the herbaceous patio and through the atrium is Talula's Garden, the warm and elegant Washington Square eatery from Aimee Olexy and Starr Restaurants. The modern menu, prepared with carefully-sourced ingredients and a light European touch, changes with the seasons. The artful cuisine, hospitable staff, sustainable spirits, and a focus on cheese make the dining experience here incredibly memorable.
Hartford, Connecticut
“Special Occasion”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was the 3rd time we have used the chefs farm table - although a business dinner - it was all friends celebrating my retirement! I love this restaurant - the service is fantastic and the menu has been great every time we go their. The wine/bear selection was wonderful. Every course terrific - the pasta selection and cheese plate was 'to die for'. -- I cannot say enough about the dessert!

• Visited March 2014

• Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Worth the Hype? ABSOLUTELY!”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I dined here on Mother's Day with my family and must say I thoroughly enjoyed everything about my meal and experience. The space is charming and rustic indoors and very much like a European hotel patio outdoors. Our server was enthusiastic about food and was happy to discuss preparations and (when asked) which dish among two is his favorite. I must give special mention to our warm brioche which served as an amuse-bouche, on this night served with a fennel butter; I could have easily consumed a dozen of these as they were as light as a feather and flavorful. While our starters and mains were stellar, the star of the show for the night were the desserts. My s'mores cake (a warm cake served with a housemade marshmallow and smoke ice cream) left me with a perfectly pleased palate. This was one of the best meals I have eaten in Philly and I would not hesitate to return - next time I will try the cheese!

1 Thank TheScarlett
Blackwood, New Jersey
“Better on First Visit”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Our second visit to Talula's was not as enjoyable as the first. It seemed to me that the food was not as outstanding as I remembered it last time. Also the cheese plate is expensive for what is served and the price charged. I would return to give them another chance, but wouldn't rush back.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Weak experience”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I have eaten at this restaurant before and have generally enjoyed the experience. This time was a bit different, it was weak. Perhaps just an off night. I do really enjoy the casual space and atmosphere. And the service was ok, not great for a restaurant of this type. We ordered the cheese plate for our table and it was simply divine. We let the chef pick the cheeses for our table. But as soon as the cheese came out, the waiter came to express that the kitchen made a mistake and our dinner was ready. I think he wanted us to accept the entrees and have it with the cheese. But there was no way I would enjoy the cheese, wine and entree at the same time. I asked him to hold the meals for a few while we at least started the cheese course. Many of the folks in our party had the scallops and they were all very pleased. I had a lamb dish and it was so so. The meat was a little chewy and lukewarm.. Perhaps it sat there for a while. Baklava was tasty but I ran out of coffee and server did not notice. We wanted the check and had to call out for it. Perhaps the server was too busy. I will try it again, maybe an off night.

Stamford, Connecticut
“YUMM, just YUMM!”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

My husband and I loved Talula's Garden. It’s a farm to table concept that offers traditional American food. They also offer a full menu of various cheese tastings. These tastings aren’t huge but substantial enough so depending on how big a cheese fanatic you are, you should consider sharing with the table. I had the “Not your Granny’s – 6 new takes on Tradition” and my favorite by far was the Purple Haze which was a goat cheese infused with violet (I’m a sucker) and fennel but all the cheeses were rather mild in pungency with exception to the blue cheese (which was also delicious!). Telula’s also offers these delicious buttery croissants that melt in your mouth. This might have been a highlight, seriously. Also worth mentioning, the scallops were DELICIOUS and full of flavor. Talula’s Garden offers a seasonal menu and I can’t imagine anything being bad from this restaurant.