“Simply sublime! If you eat at one place in Philly, make this it!”
Review of Talula's Garden

Talula's Garden
Reserve with OpenTable
Talula's Garden is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 4,611 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 7th between Walnut and Locust
Description: Behind the wrought iron gate, past the herbaceous patio and through the atrium is Talula's Garden, the warm and elegant Washington Square eatery from Aimee Olexy and Starr Restaurants. The modern menu, prepared with carefully-sourced ingredients and a light European touch, changes with the seasons. The artful cuisine, hospitable staff, sustainable spirits, and a focus on cheese make the dining experience here incredibly memorable.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Disclaimer: I enjoy fine dining. This restaurant definitely has it all. The decor and overall feel is fun, yet classy. The service is very professional. There is a very nice balance between attentiveness and personal space.

Now on to the most impressive part, the food! They offer a tasting menu, which I decided to try. I then added several dishes from the standard menu. The tasting menu was so well thought out in terms of progression and diversity. The food was in a word: amazing. The flavors are robust and balanced. The desserts were phenomenal. My hat goes off to the relatively new pastry chef. Her crepe (which unfortunately doesn't appear on the standard menu) was as good as any crepe that I have had in Paris. I tried the peanut butter and jam donuts off the standard menu, which were incredible. I finished with the chocolate mousse, which was so well balanced between the sweet of the chocolate and the added coarse salt and I think cayenne. I also had the wine pairings with the tasting menu. These wines were also all nice wines, but more importantly well paired with the food.

The Michelin Guide needs to come for a visit!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,189)

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We dined here at lunch and the menu was full of very interesting and original dishes. Items like quail egg, gnidi and botarga were throughout the menu. We had many questions, but finally decided to just trust the chef as we had heard this was a fabulous restaurant. The meal was, indeed, fabulous in every way. The four of us each got something different with plenty of appetizers, and we all sampled everything. It was unanimous, all the concoctions were fresh and delicious. The service was friendly and the atmosphere was casual & fun. You must try this restaurant.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We've been to Talula's Garden several times and we have never been disappointed. The decor is warm and inviting, the wait staff is extremely knowledgeable about the creative menu and the wine list. We wanted wine by the glass and Jennifer, the general manager, suggested that we sample a couple of her favorites before making a decision. How many restaurants would make that offer?
Our server, Nicole, was extremely pleasant and attentive. Our menu choices were outstanding.
As I write this it might sound like I'm getting paid for this review....try it yourself and I think you will agree with my comments.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

This restaurant is attractively decorated whether you choose to dine indoors or outside. We chose indoors, and had a quiet corner to sit and talk. I ordered the celery and date salad, which was a delectable combination of flavors and textures. I also had the foie gras which was tasty but not as expected, being more a pate with salad. The rabbit and pasta appetizer was rich and delicious. The lamb entree came as 2 perfectly cooked chops plus a lamb sausage. For dessert we ordered the cookies and ice cream combo, but the coffee ice cream and expresso sorbet were too intense for my palate, so I stuck to the maple ice cream. All in all a fine meal, and our server was attentive when we wanted him, and backed off when we wanted more time. My only complaint was that their timing was a bit off so our entrees arrived just as i put down my fork from our appetizers, so it felt much too rushed.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Yes, the setting is lovely and the food is interesting, but is it worth the price? One thing for sure: If you live in the neighborhood or are staying at a nearby hotel and want a great takeout dinner, don't go to that section of Talula's. The prices are high, the main courses (fish, chicken, for instance) are limited and not that good. If you're eating lunch or brunch in that section, the frittata is tough and the size enormous. What they seem to specialize in is cheeses and desserts. People living in the area who are generally well off and often older would welcome a takeout place where a really fine meal could be found. So far, there's none.