“Fab from farm to table”
Review of Talula's Garden

Talula's Garden
Reserve with OpenTable
Talula's Garden is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 4,445 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 7th between Walnut and Locust
Description: Behind the wrought iron gate, past the herbaceous patio and through the atrium is Talula's Garden, the warm and elegant Washington Square eatery from Aimee Olexy and Starr Restaurants. The modern menu, prepared with carefully-sourced ingredients and a light European touch, changes with the seasons. The artful cuisine, hospitable staff, sustainable spirits, and a focus on cheese make the dining experience here incredibly memorable.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I couldn't say enough about this Steven Starr restaurant. Yes it's on the expensive side, but the food, staff and atmosphere are wonderful . . .so you get what you pay for. The master's cheese plate was phenomenal, the kale cavatelli excellent and the brioche rolls with herbed butter melted in my mouth. I cleaned my dinner plate which was the wine braised beef brisket and my husband the same with the Muscovy duck breast. I finished off with a cappucino and Napoleon creme brulee with grapefruit sorbet and tasted some of the chocolate desserts my husband had as well. Totally satisfying in every way!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Everyone, and I mean everyone I told I was going to Philadelphia told me to eat at Talula's Garden. So.....I did. It was totally worthly of the hype.

The staff, from the second we entered the restaurant was warm, inviting and knowledgeable.
I started off with a cocktail called...."the Optimist". I think it got the name becasue after 2 of these, you have a VERY optimistic outlook on life. It was sooooo good!

I opted not to get the Tasting menu only becasue tasting menus are usually too much food for me. So, my friend and I both shared 2 salads...both equally good. But mine, the pear salad, I thought was a bit better. I had the duck and my friend had the porgy (who knew a local fish had that name.) I am pretty picky about my duck and it was delicious. I also really liked the fact that it had very little fat on it. Most times I order duck I end up cutting half of it off becasue of all the fat. The porgy was also delicious.....but beware it comes with the head still on. We also ordered 2 sides....the mushrooms and the brussel sprouts. The mushrooms lacked flavor and didn't do much for me, but the brussel sprouts were out of this world amazing! For dessert we had an assorted chocolate plate and the ricotta donuts. Again, both good...but if I only had one to order again, I would go for the chocolate plate even though our waiter said the donuts are the most popular dessert on the menu. All in all a delicious meal.

The ONLY negative was that the valet cost $16. Which I thought was quite pricy and VERY pricy for Philly.

I will definitely be returning on my next trip to Philly, except I might just take a taxi........

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Food was outstanding as was the waitstaff. One of the four of us did not think there was enough choice of entrees but everything ordered was excellent. It was a little noisy and the tables were placed a little close to each other but the food makes it all worthwhile.
Will definitely return

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Service was exceptional and most of the food was good. Cheese tray was amazing, chocolate dessert and doughnuts were to die for and a must try. Beet soup was surprisingly delicious although I didn't think the trout added anything to it and would be better without it. Beef & scallop entrees were great, the snapper entree was not edible though unfortunately. I love salt but this was like licking a salt lick and the "crispy" skin was ruined by stacking the fish and topping with a sauce so it ended up mushy and gross. The vegetables overall on the entrees were more on the raw side than usual which was fine except for the potatoes with the fish which were just inedible and hard and flavorless. I would definitely go back for the cheese & dessert

1  Thank sparkee187
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Overall we really enjoyed our visit and were impressed by the superb, timely professional service, the eclectic offerings on the menu and of course the food itself. Everything we ordered was fresh, original and showed a good deal of inventiveness.

The only aspect of our visit which we did not gain our enthusiastic support was the corkage fee of $25.00 per bottle.

If you happen to find a bargain wine for say $12-15.00, you will pay more for the 2 second twist of the corkscrew than you did for the wine.

Other than this though, it is a superb restaurant which we would visit again when in Philly.