“It may not be Dinosaur but it is a lot closer to home”
Review of Baby Blues BBQ

Baby Blues BBQ
Ranked #234 of 4,445 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: We are in walking distance to 30th St Station. We are 1/2 a block away from the "EL", so you can travel to all Philly sports stadiums within minutes.
Description: As featured on the food network's "Diners, Drive ins, and Dives" and The Travel Channel's "Ribs Paradise", we serve our own hybrid style of BBQ. Our influences include Carolina style pulled pork, Memphis-Style ribs, Creole seafood and Texas Style beef brisket. We also serve over 20 different soul-food side dishes both traditional and not. We offer full service catering as well as takeout & delivery. Look out for our Baby Blues BBQ food truck in the summer of 2015!
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Baby Blues is not a stagey kind of place; no attempt to recreate anything else. This is a basic barbecue joint with a decent beer list and some really fine ribs and brisket at a really fair price.
When we walk up there, we always get some take out to take home and it is just as good the day after, and the day after.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We happened to be in the city for a few appointments at Penn. We were planning on having lunch a few blocks away when we saw this place down a side road. I quickly pulled up TripAdvisor on my phone and saw the average star rating so we said, "let's give it a shot". Really happy we did.

If you're looking for 5-star elegance, ambiance and an extensive wine list, move on. It's smack in the middle of 2 huge college campuses: Drexel and Penn. What you'll find is a great portion of tasty BBQ that will make you want more.

My husband and I are great cooks so when we eat out, we rarely rave about the food because we compare it to what we can do at home. My hubs is pickier than me and he rates most restaurants with a C.

I had the pulled pork sandwich with slaw and a side of Mac and cheese. I rate the sandwich an A+ and give the mac a B. The mac didn't suck but mine is tastier. The pulled pork is served without sauce so you can drench it with the sauces on the table. I've had this in the south and have found it always to be dry and needing the sauce. But this pork wasn't dry and you could eat it just like it's served -- really nice vinegar-based flavor. The proportion of slaw to meat was perfect and not too messy that you couldn't eat it. The bun was a deliciously sweet grilled brioche bun that made the sandwich even more decadent. I got shredded cheddar on mine and I really enjoyed that. Our server was personable and explained the sauces -- which are all made differently -- which was helpful. I tried 2 of the sauces and enjoyed them. I also had a raspberry specialty cocktail made with freshly mushed berries and flavored vodka. It rocked. I would have had another if it wasn't so early in the day!

My hubs had the brisket sandwich and he can't stop talking about it. He went to college in the south and he said this was the finest brisket he's ever had. He rated the cornbread a B- not because of the flavor but because the texture was more like a cake than bread.

We already have a date set to go back and are going to try to hit this place once a month. I'll be getting the same sandwich but try a new side next time I go.

It's worth a visit for homemade good BBQ!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Pulled pork sandwich topped with slaw and side of cornbread was so good I got another order to take home. The other guys had sausage and brisket which they devoured. They are frequent users of Baby Blue BBQ and order a different thing each time because everything is great.
The sides include incredible baked beans, stewed tomatoes and mac and cheese. They have an option to order 4 sides and the portions are very generous.
It is my new regular eating place in University City.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have to say that this place is A-Ok. I have been here several times and had a few samples of the BBQ Ribs off the menu. What makes the meal is the sauces for sure. If you choose the chicken, ribs, pulled pork or the brisket....you won't be disappointed. I also enjoyed the side dishes - I have had better Mac & Cheese, Mashed Sweet Potatoes and cornbread, but remember the centerpieces are the BBQ.

I must comment that the service is slow and that could use improvement to increase the overall experience, but my motto is as long as the drinks are flowing and they are good - I can deal with slow table service at times. What made this bearable was the staff were polite, so I didn't make a big deal out of it.

Overall, it's a cool place to change up the dinner routine, come with a good appetite and see what you think....

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This place knocks bbq spots out of the park. Everything is absolutely delicious. The combination plates of bbq, shrimp and fish is great. Their sauces are awesome. They even make catfish irresistible and I hate catfish. They have red Koolaid and southern sweet tea. Collard greens with tomatoes that looked weird but once you taste them you want to drink the broth because they are so good. I didn't have the dessert but if they do soul food this good I'm sure the banana pudding is to die for. I can't wait to eat there again.