“Good for a quick snack”

Philadelphia Chutney Company
Ranked #1,044 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Craving some indian food we decided to check this out. The owners were very helpful when deciding what to have for a quick snack and also provided good tips for us as tourists there for the weekend. I'll visit again if I'm in the area.

1  Thank Dustin C

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was delighted when I saw the Philadelphia Chutney company while browsing around Liberty Mall area. I ordered Masala dosa which is my favorite. I am from Kerala, so I might come off a tad harsh when I say the dosas weren't the crunchiest. The masala (filling) had too many mustard seeds, and very less flavor. I really really wanted to love the place considering the aesthetics and the lovely location, but I was sad when I left.

1  Thank Amazineyez
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is a nice clean joint serving south Indian food, self serve style. The food was pretty tasty. They have build your own dosas - something like building your own crepes. The one issue I had was that they do not include sambhar in the price of the entree - and almost any south Indian food is inedible without sambhar. Making customers pay for it doesn't seem right.

The food quality was very good and service was quick and efficient - and the chutneys were delicious

1  Thank Shanker B
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We tried their new age dosas and idlis one afternoon. They were delicious. Definitely worth a try if you are looking for modern south Indian in center city Philly. Remember its a small very causal eatery. So not a place to take your date or expect them to have beers or wines.

1  Thank banerjee_p
Reviewed May 30, 2013

It's easy to pass by this place and think that it's some sort of chain. It's not. The set up is bare bones and simple: order at the counter, then they will call for you when your food is ready. The dosa's were excellent: crispy and (most importantly) not greasy! The chutneys are all house made and also excellent. The dosa's seem very large, but remember it's mostly empty space. Great place for niche South Indian fare.

1  Thank Bruce A