“Deke is turning out the real deal”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Deke's Bar-B-Que

Deke's Bar-B-Que
Ranked #299 of 4,339 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television
Deerfield, Illinois
“Deke is turning out the real deal”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This is an A List BBQ. A friend who is a me member of the house of worship across the street. The location is obscure to say the least. They baby back and St. Louis ribs are spectacular, large, meaty, juicy, and spectacularly hand rubbed. The meat doesn't quite fall off the bone, but separates cleanly with a fork. Very tender and pink and smokey as smoked meat should be. For sides, the potato wedges are tasty, sprinkled with a spicy BBQ rub. Jackie was kind enough WTO let me sample the brisket. Very tasty, but this particular slice was just a tad too dry and overdone...still way better than most places. Deke's has character, and the ribs to back it up. Very yum.

• Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“The Manayunk BBQ Garage”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Who would have thought that the best BBQ I would have int he Northeast would be served in an old Police Garage. We attended a Living solcial event at Deke's a few months ago and are destined to return again and again. Deke's relaxed atmosphere and superb BBQ are a gem in this residential part of Manayunk. Hoping to get by for a Ribs on a Football Sunday.

Visited March 2012
Philadelphia, PA
“Outsanding dry-rub barbecue”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

As someone who grew up in the South, I know my barbecue. And Deke's has it down pat (literally). My wife and I visited during one of his LivingSocial promotions, and Deke himself shows us how he makes his barbecue, what goes into his dry rubs, and how much of a labor of love the food and his restuarant is for him. His bartenders also know their bourbons and liquors, so strike up a conversation with them if it's not too crowded. Otherwise, plop down at one of the picnic tables outside and enjoy yourself.

By the way, Deke's dosn't open for lunch, since it takes hours to cook barbecue. The earliest you may get to eat is 1 or 2 pm, and that's likely to be when the Eagles are playing or some other big event in Philly. Other than that, I'd just suggest going when it's not raining since many tables are outside and it's easier to mingle indoors and out.

• Visited June 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Best BBQ I've ever had, and I'm Australian!”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

What an incredible place. The place was hosting a bit of a birthday party when I went with my boyfriend, and there were people everywhere. We sat at the bar, and the fantastic girl behind the bar talked us through the drinks and menu. We ended up opting for $20 All You Can Eat, and the chef came out to talk to us about what we wanted to eat. He kept bringing plates of the most amazing, sumptuous foods - pork sliders, ribs, sausages, veg-- it was just incredible. So much good food. I was wishing that I had a second stomach. The atmosphere was great and everybody was really friendly. It was so warm inside. We had a great night out. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited November 2011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“COOL PLACE to hang out BUT”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Went with a friend for dinner to check the place out. Overall it was kinda cool place as it was an old garage with a smoker outside. It has 2 booths and a U shape bar with pinic tables outside. Not a big beer selection. But they do have a nice selection bourbons. I tried all the food I could and the chicken was juicy on the inside but burnt on the outside. Ribs did fall off the bone but not that tasty. Brisket was a liitle tough to chew. Chef brought out the food..which I liked. French fries were hand cut and very tasty. Coleslaw was good and sweet. Bathroom was clean. The smell of the barbeque made for an invited smell as it cooked outside. I would go back again but to drink the bourbon testing. Next time it is a cigar in one hand and drink in the other.

Jerry EHRLICH FROM THE GREAT CITY OF PHILADELPHIA