“Great BBQ'd Meats at a Decent Price”
Review of Fat Jack's BBQ

Fat Jack's BBQ
Ranked #2,529 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Barbecue, Fast Food
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Description: Award winning real southern hickory smoked BBQ right here in Philly! We have pork and beef ribs, Carolina Pulled Pork, Memphis Pulled Chicken, Texas Beef Brisket, Hickory smoked BBQ chicken, hickory smoked chicken wings, hickory smoked turkey, burnt ends, homemade southern sides, and a whole lot more to make your mouth water! Breakfast served Mon-Sat.
Reviewed September 12, 2011

First off, I am a BBQ meat fan. I truly believe the words of my "ancestors" when they refer to "vegetarian" being an old Indian word (and I'm a semi-old Indian) meaning "can't hunt." I'm a carnivore through and through and appreciate good southern BBQ. With that all said, I was looking forward to trying out Fat Jack's, a BBQ franchise relatively new to Philadelphia.

For the uninitiated, BBQ is VERY different according to region, and the term BARBEQUE is VERY DIFFERENT than what you may mean at home when you "grill" which is NOT "barbequing." Meats as served in BBQ restaurants are typically slow smoked to "cook" the meat, often imbuing a pinkish (but SAFE) interior and a smoky, uniquely tasty flavor. Texas BBQ is different from Memphis BBQ which is different than what Fat Jack's serves which is Carolina-style BBQ. At Fat Jack's, my friend had a "riblet" sandwich which consisted of a few small pork ribs that had been "dry rubbed" with seasonings and mild BBQ "moppin" sauce while I had pulled pork with a spicy BBQ sauce - both served on hamburger-type rolls. I had BBQ beans and I can't remember what my friend had as his side.

Dave was thoroughly enjoying his food as was I. It's fast food style seating so you order, sit and wait (about 5 minutes), get your food and sit and enjoy. The pulled pork was very good - not too "wet" and the included spicy sauce was nice. The coleslaw I'd asked for (to put on top of the meat - it's a regional thing you don't have to do) was only fair. It's the ubiquitous slightly sweet type I'm not fond of - others may like it. Beans were also "fair." I think that they may need to rethink some of the sides as I've eaten quite a bit of BBQ in all of the major regions at both the famous places and not so famous.

I'll definitely be back for the meats and will try the ribs next time. If they delivered to my neighborhood (I'm just outside their range), I'd probably pack on the pounds because it's definitely worth eating their food again. Cheap, good "eats" is always welcome with me!

Reviewed August 6, 2011

Compared to the place I usually visit, the meat is comparable and good. I just wish they had a choose a two meat combo instead of ribs with any meat. I am not big fan of ribs. Their sides on the other hand need much improvement. I had the Mac & cheese and greens. Both are way better at the other place and I can make better Mac & cheese than fat jacks. The workers are very friendly I will definitely visit again.

2  Thank Blueberry1117