“Pleasantly surprised based on other reviews read”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Lux Spa and Fitness - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Lux Spa and Fitness
More attraction details
Owner description: Lux Spa and Fitness at the Omni Hotel at Independence Park • Address 401 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106 • Hotel Phone : 215-925-0000 • Hotel Fax : 215-925-1263 • Spa Phone: 215-931-4248
Manville, New Jersey
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Pleasantly surprised based on other reviews read”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

First and foremost, the Average rating I gave has nothing to do with the quality of the massage I received, which I would rate as Excellent.

I have read several reviews about this establishment, both on Trip Advisor, and elsewhere. In all cases, the reviews were not flattering whatsoever. However, I only realized that after I paid $45 for a Travel Zoo Local Deal for a $100 valued massage. After reading all the poor reviews this place received, I must say I was quite anxious about even booking an appointment, but decided to do so anyway, so as not to completely waste my $45.

In a nutshell, I went there hoping for the best, but expecting the worse. I have to say though that I was plesantly surprised. True, there are (and I have been to) quite a few places for a massage that are much better (both aesthetically and in the personableness of the receptionists/front office staff) than this place. However, I must give credit where credit is due and Bill, who was the gentleman who gave me my massage, provided one of the better massages I have had in a while. To be fair, I must make a distinction between what I went there for and my interaction with that individual providing the service versus what the place looks like and my interaction with the front office staff. I would get a massage by Bill again, no doubt about it, but not if he was providing it out of this establishment. The quality of his massage would better align with a more quality place.

Now, all that being said, here are my pros and cons:

Pros
1) Bill is quite personable, provides a great massage, and is very thorough
2) I was taken back for my appointment on time
3) I ran into no issues with using the prepaid Travel Zoo voucher I purchased
4) Pleasantness of the doormen at the hotel who were happy to direct me to where the spa was located (lower level)
5) No unexpected charges (at least not yet...I will keep an eye out) to my credit card, which was needed to reserve my appointment. In other reviews I have read, some indicated they had unauthorized charges from the spa on their credit card due to some kind of mix up or misunderstanding.

Cons
1) Front office staff is not the most personable. However, I am not suggesting they are rude either. Just kind of so-so I guess. If I am spending my money in your establishment, I just expect for the appreciation to be more visible....just my own personal pet peeve. Anyway, in my case, there was no clear direction really provided as to where I should wait after I was directed to the locker room to change upon arriving. I ended up going back out and asking before changing out of my clothes and was then told I could wait by the pool area once I was changed. The pool area was way too warm for my tastes so I returned to the locker room to wait there. In her defense, the woman at the front desk was on the phone with a customer when I mentioned it was too warm in the pool area and I would simply wait in the locker room. Once off the phone though she did come and get me from the locker room and directed me to another cooler area to wait (I think it was the spa party lounge or something). I appreciated her taking the extra step to let me know there was another cooler area where I could wait. I just think they could/should let you know when you arrive where to go after changing out of your clothes (do I wait in the locker room, do I wait by the pool, do I wait in the spa party room, etc.) so that it's clear.

2) Having to pay to park downtown (I opted for a lot right next to the hotel versus trying to find a spot on the street and paid $15 for 90 or so minutes I was parked in the garage)

3) Not the cleanest flip flops, but the robes did appear to be clean

4) Small lockers (I think this is because the lockers are probably really mainly used by folks using the hotel gym, and who probably wouldn't need as much room as someone coming for a massage). I had a tough time getting my pocketbook, boots, coat, and clothes to fit in the locker

5) Almost busted up lock on my locker (#7). I had to keep playing with the key in the lock to get it to lock

6) Upon leaving, again no real interest it seemed in how my appointment went. There were no comments/questions, like "how was it?", "did you enjoy it?", "was it to your satisfaction?", "thank you, we hope you will come see us again.", "is there anything else I can do for you?", "do you have any questions, comments, concerns?", "are you interested in any other services today or making any product purchases?".....again, to others this may seem small, but I pay attention to stuff like that and they had a whole array of products lining one of the walls so why not try and make a sale?

So all that being said, my experience was not nearly as bad as others I have read about. I guess I went on a good day at a good time and lucked up to have been paired up with Bill!

Visited December 2011
1 Thank LYNNIE72

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“BUYER BEWARE!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

BUYER BEWARE!

I have been to Lux Spa a few times over the last year. Yes, all of those times have been during Spa Week. The services themselves were okay. I did have a great facial from Olga, but that is where it ends. I had the WORST massage that I have ever had in my entire life I did complain about it and in turn they offered my 50% off of services. I requested a refund or credit (there was no yelling or screaming I just simply said that I thought they were wrong in not trying to make me happy) for the 50 minutes I wasted of my life and I was refused. I was also told by the owner, Tiffany, that I was being disrespectful and cannot return to their facility and then she hung up on me. I did tell her that I was not even sure why I had paid for the services in the first place, and her response was, "but you did". This is how customers should be treated who have received a glorified back rub from an employee who they KNEW they were firing over the weekend and yet knowingly booked the appointment? I did warn her that I would be posting my dissatisfaction (again in a clear and calm, yet unhappy tone) and she congratulated me on having the time to do so. Very insulting. No I do not have the time to do so, but have made the time to warn others of this experience so they do not get caught in the same trap.

Visited October 2011
7 Thank AngelD60795
Wilmington, DElaware, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Horrible Spa -- Not worth the Money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

I almost don't know where to begin...

The locker room was small and dirty. You get a locker with dirty flip-flops waiting for you. I was then rushed to the "spa party room" which was freezing cold. When I went to have a drink of water, the plate with lemons and oranges had a huge, thick hair on it. During my facial, the esthetician was extremly rough with me. It was the worst facial experience I have ever had. To add insult to injury, the spa is extremely loud. During my message I could hear the staff outside of my room talking the entire time. Not only is the staff loud, but they were pretty rude as well. The woman at the front desk, who I believe is the manager, asked about my experience. When I told her how upset I was she could not have cared less.

Overall, this spa is dirty, cold, and not relaxing AT ALL. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.

Visited April 2011
5 Thank GinaBerg
Pinehurst, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not even worth the groupon”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2011

I had a very similar experience as the first comment. It took me twenty minutes just to book my appointment after purchasing a groupon. On the day of the appointment I drove into the city only to realize the entire broad street which cuts down the center of the city was closed for a race and I could not get to the spa. I called to ask if there was another route which the owner who answered the phone said she didn't know. I told her I would have to find parking and walk at least 11 blocks before I would get there, making me late for the appointment. I asked if there was anyway I could rebook considering the situation with the race which she responded by saying that I could not rebook and if I did not show up during the hour I was blocked out for my appointment she would charge my credit card the full price of the facial. So I parked and jogged down to the omni hotel and arrived about ten minutes before the end of my scheduled appointment. When I went to give her my groupon she told me she already charged my credit card the full price, didn't accept the groupon and had the nerve to ask me if I wanted a "2 minute foot rub" I was so insulted I told her that now I understood why this spa was rated so poorly on all the websites for which she responded by hitting the elevator button and told me to leave. No one with this bad of service should run or own a business. Even if the deal is cheap I strongly advice against going. This spa doesn't deserve your business.

4 Thank dobitschs
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“DO NOT GO”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

My issues started immediately when I scheduled the massage online with the spa. When I called the number to confirm and get additional details regarding my appointment, it took me a half hour to get through. I think they have limited phone lines, so if someone was on the phone, it would beep busy. That was very frusterating when I was visiting the spa for the first time and wanted to make the most out of my experience. Additionally on the day of the appointment when I called to get directions and information about the parking garage because they were located in the city, she told me rudely that she didn't know and I had to call the Omni hotel where they are located in to get that information. When I arrived for my appointment, I had a receptionist who quickly/rudely pointed to the locker room and told me to come back when I was changed. It was a very cold pass off where I was hoping I would receive 5 star service. The robe and used flip flops were shoved in the locker where I also could barely fit my stuff in. There was also a water pitcher in the locker room that had a old lime and orange slice in it that was luke warm. The pitcher itself looked very dirty but I couldn't get a good look at it because it was filled with warm water. The massage was ok, but there was only a thin sheet covering me where I would have expected a thicker blanket because you don't have any clothes on. It was definitely a little uncomfortable. Afterwards, I was told to change and I noticed that the pitcher was emptied by the receptionist. This is where I could pick up the pitcher and realized that there was MOLD all in the inside of it. At this point, I did not feel like I was in a clean facility and was very upset. It also didn't help that the massage therapist was waiting with the receptionist with his backpack and coat on like he was just waiting for his tip. Multiple e-mails were sent to the owner who said I was lying and disregarded my concerns

Visited April 2011