First and foremost, the Average rating I gave has nothing to do with the quality of the massage I received, which I would rate as Excellent.
I have read several reviews about this establishment, both on Trip Advisor, and elsewhere. In all cases, the reviews were not flattering whatsoever. However, I only realized that after I paid $45 for a Travel Zoo Local Deal for a $100 valued massage. After reading all the poor reviews this place received, I must say I was quite anxious about even booking an appointment, but decided to do so anyway, so as not to completely waste my $45.
In a nutshell, I went there hoping for the best, but expecting the worse. I have to say though that I was plesantly surprised. True, there are (and I have been to) quite a few places for a massage that are much better (both aesthetically and in the personableness of the receptionists/front office staff) than this place. However, I must give credit where credit is due and Bill, who was the gentleman who gave me my massage, provided one of the better massages I have had in a while. To be fair, I must make a distinction between what I went there for and my interaction with that individual providing the service versus what the place looks like and my interaction with the front office staff. I would get a massage by Bill again, no doubt about it, but not if he was providing it out of this establishment. The quality of his massage would better align with a more quality place.
Now, all that being said, here are my pros and cons:
1) Bill is quite personable, provides a great massage, and is very thorough
2) I was taken back for my appointment on time
3) I ran into no issues with using the prepaid Travel Zoo voucher I purchased
4) Pleasantness of the doormen at the hotel who were happy to direct me to where the spa was located (lower level)
5) No unexpected charges (at least not yet...I will keep an eye out) to my credit card, which was needed to reserve my appointment. In other reviews I have read, some indicated they had unauthorized charges from the spa on their credit card due to some kind of mix up or misunderstanding.
1) Front office staff is not the most personable. However, I am not suggesting they are rude either. Just kind of so-so I guess. If I am spending my money in your establishment, I just expect for the appreciation to be more visible....just my own personal pet peeve. Anyway, in my case, there was no clear direction really provided as to where I should wait after I was directed to the locker room to change upon arriving. I ended up going back out and asking before changing out of my clothes and was then told I could wait by the pool area once I was changed. The pool area was way too warm for my tastes so I returned to the locker room to wait there. In her defense, the woman at the front desk was on the phone with a customer when I mentioned it was too warm in the pool area and I would simply wait in the locker room. Once off the phone though she did come and get me from the locker room and directed me to another cooler area to wait (I think it was the spa party lounge or something). I appreciated her taking the extra step to let me know there was another cooler area where I could wait. I just think they could/should let you know when you arrive where to go after changing out of your clothes (do I wait in the locker room, do I wait by the pool, do I wait in the spa party room, etc.) so that it's clear.
2) Having to pay to park downtown (I opted for a lot right next to the hotel versus trying to find a spot on the street and paid $15 for 90 or so minutes I was parked in the garage)
3) Not the cleanest flip flops, but the robes did appear to be clean
4) Small lockers (I think this is because the lockers are probably really mainly used by folks using the hotel gym, and who probably wouldn't need as much room as someone coming for a massage). I had a tough time getting my pocketbook, boots, coat, and clothes to fit in the locker
5) Almost busted up lock on my locker (#7). I had to keep playing with the key in the lock to get it to lock
6) Upon leaving, again no real interest it seemed in how my appointment went. There were no comments/questions, like "how was it?", "did you enjoy it?", "was it to your satisfaction?", "thank you, we hope you will come see us again.", "is there anything else I can do for you?", "do you have any questions, comments, concerns?", "are you interested in any other services today or making any product purchases?".....again, to others this may seem small, but I pay attention to stuff like that and they had a whole array of products lining one of the walls so why not try and make a sale?
So all that being said, my experience was not nearly as bad as others I have read about. I guess I went on a good day at a good time and lucked up to have been paired up with Bill!