“Enjoy some Banger and Mash in Philadelphia”
Review of The Dandelion

The Dandelion
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dandelion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 4,611 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 18th and Sansom
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

A Steven Star restaurant designed to the detailed authenticity of an old English pub. The atmosphere and menu will have you feeling like you are in London enjoying the better aspects of British cuisine. The "dog room" is an excellent room to talk and enjoy the aspects of an old ale room complete with wooden bar and brass bull dog bar rail. Overall food it very authentic but not the kind of cuisine that would draw me back again, however the atmosphere would even if just to enjoy a beer.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,042)

Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

It was our first visit to the Dandelion, great service and the food was good, but very small portions and we were surprised at the $90 tab for lunch. We went at the recommendation of a British friend, who said their fish n chips were authentic. The fish was delicious, but only one filet and the chips were a very small portion as well. The chicken and duck liver parfait was good, very rich, but mainly consisted of three huge slices of bread. My drink was delicious, their version of a Margarita, but $12. Many of the people seated around us mentioned they are regulars, but we'll go back to the Continental, El Vez or Buddakan next time.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Great atmosphere. The burger was fantastic and cheese plate was also good. I wish they had a few more traditional british ales on cask but overall the experience was excellent

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Awarding 5 stars is an extreme rarity for me and I feel the need to tell you the story, to give you some of the details that make Dandelions so memorable.

Summary Points:
• Atmosphere / Decor - It's beautiful and welcoming and then you add the bonus of good music, like Blondie and Elvis Costello. A well-versed crowd of mid “20 / 30 / 40 and 50 some things.
• Amazing Food - They have a gifted chef. The chef's pride comes out in all of the details of the food. Nothing is missed. I enjoyed dinner and then brunch and will highly recommend the warm roast beef sandwich and baked salmon (when available). I must say, the mac and cheese served in a cast iron pan looked amazing on the table adjacent to us but we didn't try it as we were trying to "be good".
• Great Service - It could not have been better. Liz, our waitress was perfect. The Floor Manager and General Manager also came by to check on us.
• Beverages - Extensive Beer and Wine Options. Loose Tea and some Great Cocktails (Pimm's cup recommended)

Details:
The beautiful architecture, elegant plants and the substantial entrance door drew me in. Upon opening the door and going up a few stairs, you are further invited in by the elegant and dim lighting, enchanting decor (sparkling white lights for the holidays and candles are all about, a lit wood fireplace, a cozy couch, relaxing leather chairs, and intimate tables for two), dark wood accents compliment the tall ceilings.

You see, I just happened to stumble upon this place and it drew me in and I stayed. Completely unplanned and open to being in the moment, I walked over to see the building. Curious I went inside. Just as I went inside, a couple was getting up from the couch near the fireplace so I decided to have tea (loose, peppermint). I felt so comfortable and at home, I decided to stay and have dinner. Thankfully there was a table for two on the third floor and we were shown to our table in just a couple minutes. Note: I would recommend reservations on the weekend as it was bustling and I believe we simply got lucky with our timing.

The Dandelion has an open but cozy feel and has quite a large capacity, as it is multi-level. The bar is on the street level and is slightly hidden by what seemed to be a 15-foot tall burgundy curtain. As you enter the bar area, it is open with very tall ceilings and a sturdy wood bar. (I noticed one television, though the sound was not on.) The hostess table, sitting area with fireplace and some chairs, couches and tables are on the 2nd level. On the 3rd level you will find another small bar, many more tables, couches and chairs, and it appeared the 4th level was being used for a large party (though I did not venture up).

We were seated and promptly greeted by Liz who was "chipper" and wonderful throughout our meal. We were brought two different types of homemade bread and were also presented with real butter and offered course sea salt to sprinkle on top. For something so simple, it was delicious - well done! This theme would continue. I ordered the baked salmon and it came cooked to perfection with a slightly crispy top and sensational seasoning. It was a good size, 8 ounces I believe. I would absolutely order this entree again. Note: I was advised the entree selections do frequently change so be on the look out for exciting new items as well as the staples.

I cannot think of one thing I would change about this experience. It was superb in every fashion. I look forward to visiting again.

There is something for everyone here from fried fish and Sheppard’s pie to chicken and salmon entrees. This is a great place for a special occasion, romantic date or just for a day when you want to relax, sit at the bar and chat with locals and those visiting. I hope you enjoy it. Cheers.

Liz, thank you again!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stopped here on a Saturday afternoon and order from the Brunch menu, Scones and jam were delicious, had bangers and mash that was tasty also. Nice selection of tap and bottled beer also.