“Great atmosphere, food & beer experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dandelion

The Dandelion
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dandelion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 4,317 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Bar, European, British, Pub, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 18th and Sansom
Dingmans Ferry, PA, USA
“Great atmosphere, food & beer experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Wanted a moderately priced place in walking distance of the Meridian in Center city and this was the ticket. Great atmosphere! You really feel like you are in an English Pub. Sat at the bar and sampled many of the beers for free. Had the best fish and chips ever. It's just off Rittenhouse Square. Very relaxing and great service.

Orefield
“Nice Dinner Following show”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We saw Oscar Wilde's Ideal Husband at the Walnut and wanted English food. Yes, English Food. A little research on our part found the Dandelion. I had to specifically ask what foie gras was as well as other things, but the experience was worth it.

We had a 5:30 pm dinner reservation and arrived early and were promptly given our table on the second level. There are individual rooms with a lot of, I guess, English character. My wife had a straight chair. I had what I would call a living room chair and while comfortable for a living room was difficult to enjoy while dining. The food is not what I am familiar with however it was served quickly which we appreciated since we had to drive 1 1/2 hours home. The Dandelion salad was excellent. I am glad I tried the liver pate but most likely will not get it again. For dinner, we had the fish and chips which were good but small and the roast beef sandwich. We shared a toffee pudding dessert. Overall, we went for the ambiance and were pleased with our choice. The food was secondary to us but service was excellent, the food was fresh and it was reasonably priced. Overall, a very good experience for us after a couple of hours of Oscar Wilde's wit.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not a relaxing experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and I visited on a Monday evening for dinner. Although we had a 7:30 reservation, we were asked to wait a few minutes for a table. There was no obvious waiting area so we waited in the middle of the room near the hostess, while trying to make room for the waiters to get around us. After about 5 minutes, we were taken upstairs to our table. I should have requested another table when I saw the two young children sitting at the next table, but I didn't. (Why do people bring their young children to such places at that hour?)

In any event, we waited for ten or more minutes without menus or any sort of acknowledgment that we were there. When the waiter finally arrived, he didn't introduce himself so I didn't know if he was there just for our drink orders or what. But he took our drink and meal orders and then disappeared. We saw other tables with bread baskets and after our drinks arrived, my husband asked our seldom-seen waiter if we could get some bread too. We eventually got bread and then our meals eventually also arrived. My shepherds' pie was okay; I had been concerned with whether or not the lamb in the pie would smell strongly, but the waiter was right and it wasn't.

All throughout this time, my head was spinning as waiters and servers dashed back and forth, back and forth (my back was to the wall so I could see them constantly dashing about). In addition, we heard at least two plates crash to the floor during our visit. Finally, the baby at the next table was crying off and on. The other child made himself comfortable and lay down (well it was his bed time, right??) on the bench along the wall, where I also happened to be seated.

Despite all this, I ordered a dessert and decaf coffee. The dessert arrived, but no coffee. When I asked the server about the coffee he said he would check on it. The manager then came by to verify that I wanted coffee. The dessert and coffee were good, no complaints there. When we asked for the check, the waiter must have mentally clocked out by then; we literally had to ask 3 times for the check.

I'm glad we tried out this place, but the frenzied atmosphere and long wait times will deter me from another visit.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Miami, Florida, USA
“Warmth on a cold winter's night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Busy, buzzing gastropub in a beautifully restored townhouse near Rittenhouse Square. Start with a drink by one of the roaring fires, then enjoy well prepared gastropub fare or innovative takes on traditionl pub-grub. Friendly and very professional staff from welcome to farewell- all and all an excellent experience that I look forward to repeating on my next visit to Philly.

Visited February 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Nice place, but too crowded”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Went there with my boyfriend last december. The food was good. We enjoyed the atmosphere. But it was way too crowded. We made a reservation one week before the date. But even with it, we had to wait 30 minutes before we had our table. And the table we were giving was terrible. In the middle of the bar part of the restaurant, next to a door that should no be used except in case of emergency, that everybody use including the employees. I asked for another table, but we would have to wait another 15-30 minutes. I was way to hungry for that. Next time, I'll make sure to ask to be somewhere else, away from the bar. The manager was very nice. He asked us if we liked our dinner. We explained the situation of the table and apologies. Overall, we liked the place, and will go there next time we're in town !

• Visited December 2012