“You Can See It From Street”

Benjamin Franklin's Grave
Ranked #58 of 433 things to do in Philadelphia
West Chester, PA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“You Can See It From Street”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

You have to pay to get into Christ Church's Cemetary. If you are a history geek like me, it may be worth it. We received a family rate and there is a map online of all of the graves. They will charge you for a map down there.

Visited March 2012

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Worth the stop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

If you are walking around, stop by this landmark. We heard from our carriage ride driver that it's good luck to hold hands with your loved one, and flip a penny onto the grave. (we saw people doing this but didn't know why until the carriage ride).

Visited October 2012
Germantown, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“History to its max!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

It is incredible to see how well taken cared of this place is. The tour people and even people at the little shop are full of interesting information and are very friendly. I loved the stories they have about this place. It was def worth my $2 to get in!

Visited September 2012
Wantagh, NY
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“Mixed Feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

If you dont want to tour the graveyard, then dont pay the entrance fee and you can see Franklin's grave through the fence which is right near the corner of the cemetery. Otherwise, pay the small fee, but get a tour guide so that it can be even more educational.

Visited September 2012
Fairfax, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“His Final Resting Place; a Humble Ending”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was the final "site" that my wife and I visited during our trip to Philadelphia. We were very fatigued by the end of the second day of site seeing with the high heat and strong humidity.

For the casual observer, viewing Ben's grave is free with a gap in the surrounding wall of the graveyard. There is a gold fence in front of it, but is easily view-able and a nice thing to do for the average passer buy to have a free look at the grave of the "first American." I feel that Ben would find this arrangement fitting.

The more avid student of the revolutionary era can pay $2.00 and enter the graveyard to not only view Ben's grave, but 4 other signers of the Declaration of Independence, including Dr. Benjamin Rush. There is also a tour option by one of the managers, who will fill the tour with historical aspects that coincide with the many bodies buried in the graveyard, including the raging yellow fever epidemic in the early 1790s.

The graveyard is a very quiet, and pleasant place to stroll. This I found surprising considering it is located in the middle of the city. The cover charge is cheap and well worth the walk. My wife actually was pretty tired by this point and sat at one of the benches, while I fed my historical appetite; however, she found the peaceful brake as worthwhile as I found the walk through. There are many trees and most of the graveyard is shaded.

The best treat of the of the experience is of course visiting Ben's grave and those bodies that surround him, including his wife and children. I was able to take a solo moment to look down at the final resting place of the great Benjamin Franklin and feel thanks for not only the sacrifices he made for my country, but the many life lessons he taught us.

Now, pertaining to the 4 star review, I am honest to the average tourist. For me personally, the site was a 10, but for the passer-by, it is just a graveyard. Not much time will be spent at the site and therefore does not deserve a perfect 5 stars. I actually give it such a high score (a 4) for the historical significance of Ben's remains.

I encourage any that do decide to check out the graveyard to pay the $2 dollars if for no other reason than to support the upkeep of what many would consider sacred history to Americans.

Visited August 2012