“Nice find!”
Review of Han Dynasty

Han Dynasty
Ranked #120 of 4,351 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Kids, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
North Carolina Mountains, North Carolina
“Nice find!”
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Excellent servers. More of a noodle house than traditional Chinese food. Pretty spicey. You pick a spice number for degree of heat. Found it different but very enjoyable. Staff was accomodating and pleasant. Try Dan Dan Noodles the house specialty.

Seattle, Washington
“Very good spicy food”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I went to the one in old city with my friend for lunch. In the beginning, I wasn't so sure when I saw most diners there are westerns. But the food was actually surprisingly good. I love spicy food. Even though this is not exactly authentic Sichuan food which requires more peppers than chillies, the taste was still good. It was hot, but in a delicious way. We ordered Dan Dan noodles, tea soaked duck in a beer sauce and dry fry beef. They are all very delicious. Price is reasonable.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Olde City find - excellent Sichuan experience”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Made reservations for a Tuesday with fellow Center City residents especially to take advantage of the restaurant's lone remaining BYOB day. Despite some misgivings from the choppy reviews below, we were extemely happy with our dining experience. We walked to the restaurant and almost missed the Chestnut Street door front because it is so unassuming. We arrived for a 6:30PM reservation to a half empty restaurant and by 7PM it was full. Once seated we were well served by our knowledgeable and personable server. Two of our party were concerned about heat level so we started with the Dan Dan Noodles (heat level 6 on a 10 scale) to calibrate our palates. As many reviewers have said, those noodles were excellent and the portion was large enough to give the four of us a good start. We ordered two portions of the special soft shell crabs - one with normal 8 level and a more toned down 5-ish. Both were excellent. We also ordered eggplant at level 4-ish and the duck slivers with no level (mild but with a nice smoky flavor). When all the food arrived we thought the portions were too large to finish, but the flavors were so good that we left little. Service was prompt and courteous and our water glasses were always full. We brought a crisp white wine and our friends brought a cabernet - I preferred the crispness of the white with this type food and think lager beer would also go well if you dine here on a Tuesday. At meal end we asked our server for recommendations for our next time and he recommended twice cooked fish. We asked about take-out and he stated that things come out when cooked, so dishes like soft shell crabs would not fare as well (would get mushy) and they had not really pushed the take-out aspect of the business. There were no take out menus.

Though the prices were higher than our normal Philadelphia Chinatown experience (we live nearby) - the food was a cut above the Sichuan offerings (with all its oily heat) there. Only the soft shell crabs were market price - understandable. Our party of four's bill was $105 with tax before tip and we all walked away very happy.

AZ
“Was I eating at a different place??”
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

I cannot imagine what all the hype is about. This isn't one of the best 500 restaurants in Philadelphia. Pepper and salt are the only real flavors. The dumplings were doughy and tasteless. The cucumber salad had no flavor but hot oil. The three pepper chicken was nothing but black, white and red pepper. No other flavorings at all. The famous dan dan noodles were edible but bland. And the ginger duck was so overcooked that it tasted like duck jerky. I like a well-seasoned spicy meal. This wasn't one.

1 Thank BuffCrone
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“A nice find”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I got a recommendation from a local, and since it was near my hotel, I decided to give Han Dynasty a try. It's a very unassuming storefront on an old, historic street. The restaurant is definitely on the small side, but since I was traveling solo I thought i might have chance. Sure enough, there was one remaining seat at the the three-seat bar. It's a slightly different menu construction than the typical Asian restaurant - you select a cooking style and then the respective protein for that dish. At the bartender's recommendation (and also because the woman sitting next to me was eating it and it looked great) I got the twice-cooked fish, which rated a 4/10 on the heat scale. I don't think I could have eaten anything higher - this was plenty spicy for me.
I don't make it to Philadelphia that often, but I am almost certain to go back here when I do. A memorable dining experience.

Visited March 2013