“Delicious, but be cautious”
Review of Han Dynasty

Han Dynasty
Ranked #117 of 4,519 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My group ate at Han Dynasty, University City location on a Saturday night. The atmosphere is fun and cool: the bar seemed popular. We were seated quickly (we had a reservation), and although the restaurant was crowded, the noise level wasn't unbearable at 8 on a Saturday.

We started with the crispy cucumber appetizer, very delicious and perfect to share. I got the tofu in pickled vegetable sauce at a heat level of 5. It was a huge portion, but really delicious and complex. I didn't find the heat to be a problem, but several members of my party had trouble with the heat. The dan dan noodles(served with minced pork) and mung bean noodles were also delicious. Others ordered chicken in the garlic sauce and tofu in hot sauce.

The waiter Anthony helped us order: the sauces don't always list all the protein options, and the kitchen is really willing to accomodate.

We did order a side of pea leaves and garlic to share, which never came. It was taken off our bill, though.

Definitely worth a visit, but if you have problems with heat, proceed with caution and talk to the waiter.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is a decent place, enjoyable with good service. Without reservations, we were seated in the basement and regardless of how it is decorated, a basement is still a basement and detracted from the entire dining experience. The cooking is not your typical fare so for folks who prefer egg rolls, friend rice and low mein, yes it's on the menu but the better bet is to be adventuresome.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Definitely make a reservation. Even on a very cold winter weekend where town was very empty the place was packed. Other reviewers criticized service. Our waiter was great and very helpful in guiding our choices. Remember when you order it is family style which means any one dish is a ton of food so go with people who have compatible taste with you or be prepared to take food home. Have the Dan Dan noodles

1  Thank VacaAllie
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The food here is delicious. The dumplings in chili oil are fantastic, spicy, and flavorful. My favorite dish is the lo mein. I'm a creature of habit, so I typlically always get the same thing there since I don't get to Philly too often. The service is hit or miss. Sometimes you are waiting for a while to even have someone come to your table, other times they are right on the ball. The food keeps you coming back though. Reservations are a must, it gets packed up quickly on the weekends.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Recently went here with a group of 10 people - luckily we made reservations, and luckily they have the downstairs room to accommodate larger groups.

The food was excellent and true to their word, the plates were delivered to the table as they came out of the kitchen. Five of us shared a bunch of dishes, which made it so I got to taste a lot of different food.

The dan dan noodles were spicy and wonderfully peanut flavored. The lo mein was also good as were the small "hot pots." The food is spicy, but you can ask them to tone it down for you. Also they are now apparently a BYOB only on Tuesdays. Personally, I kind of think that's kind of a crappy move, but I get it. The good thing is that their beer list isn't awful. It includes dogfish head and a few other select beers. They also have a wine list which is standard. I would suggest getting a bottle of wine for $26, which is $6 a glass, instead of thr $8 that they charge.

I parked down along Front street and walked, this place is right in the heart of Old City.

All in all, I would certainly come back here. Maybe next time with fewer people, but very good food.