“Second try and the service was better”

Percy Street Barbecue
Ranked #345 of 4,506 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Percy & South Streets
Description: Percy Street Barbecue features dry-rubbed brisket, ribs & chicken. Meats are wood-smoked in our authentic barbecue pits & served with classic sides. A full service bar offers 100+ craft beer cans, bourbon, cocktails & a vintage jukebox. Eat in or take out. Now open for lunch on Saturday and Sunday!
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We went to Percy Street again after the manager encouraged us to come back. In my last review I mentioned the bad service and this time around it was much better. The waitress was friendly and she was considerably more attentive than the last person. We had 5 different appetizers and they were as good as we remembered. The pinto beans and the potato salad were fantastic. The brisket and pulled pork were the clear winners over the ribs and tenderloin that we also tried. I prefer a less pronounced smoked flavor and the ribs and brisket provided that. Loved that they have Yards root beer. It is delicious.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Guy was here and I know why! Great food, cool place, something for the whole family. Located on South Street which in and of itself is an experience. Delish!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I heard about Percy Street Barbecue through a show on the Food Network. I made an online reservation via their website and it was very easy. They also called the day before to confirm. The Philadelphia traffic was horrible and we were going to get there late, so I called to tell them. The woman on the phone was very nice and said not to worry. When we arrived, they accommodated my request to have a table not smooshed between tons of other people.

The service was prompt and nice. It didn't wow me but it wasn't terrible. We had the meal where you can pick an appetizer, a meat and a side for $21. I had the fried oysters and grits - they were delicious, especially with the pickled onions on top. My husband had the pork belly. It was good but very sweet due to the maple syrup, so it was just the right portion side. For our entrees, we both had the brisket. My husband lived in Texas for four years, so he's hard on barbecue. He thought it was fine but not Texas barbecue. I am not that schooled in barbecue and really liked it. It was really smoky and didn't require a knife to cut it. I loved the raw onion, onion hash and hot peppers that came with it. The Texas-toast sized potato bread was nice, too. My husband had the cole slaw with apples and I had the sauerkraut. Both were really good. With a Diet Coke, a draft beer, tax and gratuity, it came to $65 for lunch. It was definitely worth it.

The atmosphere is casual and lively. The owner was even cooking when we were there - bonus!

1  Thank Heedybeedy
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This isn't a butcher paper BBQ joint like you'll find in Texas. It's more upscale than that. For example, the cured egg yolk on potato bread in maple syrup was the best single bite of the night. But my wife said the brisket was the best she had since we moved away from Texas years ago. Worth a trip, though I suggest skipping the German side dishes.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We truly enjoyed every part of our meal here. The flavors were great, the staff was friendly and the decor is trendy. It's loud, so prepare to talk over the noise.