“Good food”
Review of M Restaurant

M Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
M Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #554 of 4,519 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Locust & Walnut Streets
Transit: The Market Frankford Line is 2 blocks away, at Market and 8th. The north south Septa 47 line runs on 8th Street, and Patco high spped line is one block away.
Description: M Restaurant is one of Philadelphia's best dining experiences. Whether you are seeking a romantic center city restaurant for date night, a pre-theater dinner, a wedding rehearsal or reception location, or you simply want a local restaurant experience, M Restaurant is your ideal, unique venue.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Bit of a soulless room, but the cooking was good. We did not get our first choice off the menu as the two ladies opposite had ordered the last of what we wanted! I suppose you are sure that the food is fresh, I would rather pick again than have a processed meal.

My husband had a tomato starter, which sounds boring, but he said was one of the most delicious he had had. I had stuffed blossoms again good. Two plates of lamb followed by a great cheeseboard.

Really good food and only had to go upstairs to our comfortable room.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Did not come for dinner but just drinks and jazz on a Wednesday. Jazz was great but the smell of fried food and cigars was overpowering. Service was slow and not so friendly. I would not go back to try their meals.

1  Thank TheRodg
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Morris is beautifully restored and the setting under the tent is lovely. The service was excellent. The food is "small plates". We mostly ordered off the regular menu, and paid attention when the waiter told us that for an average eater three plates of food is generally enough for a meal. I had the four-course special, and my spouse, child, and aged P each ordered three. For all of us, two would have been enough, without dessert.

Mussels, beef, soup, were all delicious. Sweetbreads in corn meal were just ok - too dry, lacking in taste, needed the sauce that came with it. Dessert was a mixed affair - some liked theirs, some didn't. We passed them around and got mixed results on the same desserts.

Don't listen to the staff - unless you're a giant eater, two plates is probably enough.

1  Thank poodledoop
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stumbled upon this gem when looking for a little spot to meet my partner off the Patco train from NJ before a concert on South Street one weeknight. I was met with a very personable and attentive bartender, and decided to glance at the menu. Once I began reading, I decided the place we had originally planned on dining would have to wait. We were staying! This perfect indoor/outdoor restaurant was so inviting in so many ways. The ambiance is perfect for any occasion, and they have a beautifully decorated outdoor dining area. The chef hails from a farmtown in NJ and picks his organic ingredients from the area and local purveyors. All of the plates are smaller, which for me means sampling much more of the fare!

We really enjoyed our 3 courses (for $35 before 6:30), as you get to pick an appetizer vegetable, a fish/meat and then a cheese or dessert. I chose an incredible heirloom tomato salad with dehydrated feta and black garlic smear. As you'd expect in such terrific place, the menu is adjusted according to what is local and available, so I'm not sure you'll see this on here outside of summer. But I was thrilled to have tried it. The asparagus my partner got was perfectly grilled, as was her striped bass. I also had the cheese plate, and asked my server, who happened to be the manager, to pick some of her favorites. I was delighted with the soft goat brie and honey mustard compote. We happily shared the chocolate goat cheese dessert with strawberries and bacon crumbles - and I have to tell you, it harmonized so perfectly well, I was speechless.

Each facet of the experience was positive, and you can tell the whole staff is proud to work there. "M" is actually the restaurant in the Morris House Hotel, showcasing terrific Philadelphia architecture and charm. You really should find some time to treat yourself to this place.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Perhaps if we had ordered off the regular menu this would be a different review . Went with 2 other couples as a pre theater dinner and handed the pre-fix menu. Although I asked twice about the regular menu the waiter skirted around my question telling me it was going to be a busy night for the kitchen and to make the show we should order off the pre-fix menu. Take note we arrived at 5:30 for an 8 o'clock show.
Ordered a charcuterie platter for 6. It may have been better suited for 2 people. As my first course ordered the soup, which was very tasty. They poured it out of a small pitcher into a large shallow bowl. I doubt it equaled 1 cup. As an entrée I got the scallops. The entire entrée consisted of 2 medium size scallops in a light cream sauce. That's it folks, not another thing! 2 Scallops. My husband ordered the skirt steak which could not have been 2 inches and it came with 3 small roasted tomatoes. Period!! I got thinly shaved pineapple with a dollop of banana sorbet that was not the size of a ping pong ball. The others in the party got a couple of different entrees but all were equal in size or the lack there of it. Ten drinks were ordered between the 6 of us averaging not even 2 drinks apiece. We split the bill and each couple paid $150. Are you kidding me??? Talk about feeling ripped off. Our entrees were not the size of an appetizer.
I enjoy fine dining and have no problem spending money for a good dinner but honestly 2 scallops for an entrée and nothing more!!! I doubt that meal cost them $15 at most. What perplexed me the most is that when I went inside to the bathroom there was not one person inside eating. Yes, most tables were being used outside but you mean to tell me the kitchen can not handle this size crowd enough for us to order off the main menu. Huge disappointment for all the great reviews this restaurant seems to get. Stay away from the pre-fix menu unless you eat before you get there.

1  Thank thebigc050