“Good Standard Fare”
Review of City Tap House

City Tap House
Reserve with OpenTable
City Tap House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #276 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 39th and Walnut
Transit: The Market-Frankford "El" has a stop at 40th and Market Streets as well as the Walnut Street bus line drops at our door.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I live in the vicinity of City Tap House and dine there about four or five times per year. This is my standard "go-to" place when I'm entertaining casual guests in Philadelphia or my friends and I just want to eat somewhere local where we don't have to stress out about what to order. The claim to fame here is beer. They offer flights or you can just pick one beer from a very large selection. I must admit, I'm not a beer aficionado, but every time I go to City Tap I at least get whatever cider they are offering at the time. I only say that to let you know that you don't have to love beer to dine here. They have something for everyone and the wait staff is pretty well educated about the various characteristics of the beers. Don't let anyone talk you out of going by saying "I'm not really a beer person."

The interior space is very large and that lends itself to very short, if any, wait times. I can only remember one time my cousin and I had to wait for a table, but by the time we got a drink at the bar and started taking sips, the table was ready. The outdoor terrace has several fire pits that make the space really enjoyable. Your "city" view will depend on where you sit. This is located in across from Penn's campus and a few blocks from two major hospitals so, depending on the day, you are likely to find a mix of health care professionals, students, professors, and visiting family members. It's really a place for everyone.

As far as food, you will have a nice selection. They have some really good sweet potato fries. If you like shrimp and grits this is, surprisingly, a good place to get them! Other items I've had and enjoyed are the various pizzas and the burgers. I recently went with a friend and we got an appetizer, two orders of fries, a pizza to share and pear cider (one each) and the total bill was less than $50. So after we included tip we spent $30 each. I don't think that's bad at all considering I've gone to other places in the city and where the entree alone is $30. Like I said, it's a great space with a casual feel. I've had only good experiences here and will continue to go.

1  Thank FiveCityDweller

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I guess they would call this a brew pub or a gastropub these days. Had dinner there with my family on a weeknight-- busy, but not crowded. The decor/ambience was fine. They have an amazing selection of beers, both bottled and draft-- if you are into beer, this is definitely a place to check out. The food was fine (though I thought the portion size on my salmon entree was a bit on the small side) and the service was very good. I thought the prices were not unreasonable.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We visited City Tap House for Brunch on a Saturday afternoon. The service was great, but the food was amazing. I had the Croque Madame and it was excellent. All our party were please with what they ate. It was not crowded. Really good experience.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Tap House has good happy hour specials and a great beer selection. However, if you don't go for happy hour, expect to pay $8 for a beer.

The food was really good but again, very expensive. The steak was cooked superbly but the ONLY reason I went there for a sit-down dinner was because I had a certificate from restaurant.com.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

When the special of the day is Colombian Chili over Spaghetti, or several featured pizzas brazenly mix seafood with spicy sausages...you know something is not quite right, irrespective of taste buds!! That is our experience in this very lively University city eatery where draft beers mix with food in a noisy but organised bar like environment. Management and serving staff are very nice but even they comment on their "weird combinations". Bottom line - whoever prepares the menu needs to be asked to not do so as what they are offering is plain old scary as evidenced by what we ate, waited a long time for and then left mostly on our plates.