“Left Disappointing”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
South Jersey
“Left Disappointing”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I'd read rave reviews about this place on other sites, and I really have to wonder what they were thinking. My husband and I finally ventured out to try this place, and were really disappointed.

The hushpuppies were amazing--very fresh, tasty and you could tell they were made from scratch. But our entrees were lacking. I ordered the lunch special, which was a small bowl of crawfish bisque and (what was supposed to be) a half fried shrimp Po Boy. The bisque was horrible! I only spotted one piece of crawfish in the entire bowl, and the broth/base was tasteless. The fried shrimp were fresh, large and they gave me a good quantity, but the sandwich was lacking, flavorwise. The service was slow, but I'm not sure if that's normal or they are just not used to much of a lunch crowd (it was just us and one other table of two).

If you're looking to have cajun or creole in the city, I suggest that you try Beck's in the Reading Terminal Market--I enjoy their bisques and Po Boys much more.

• Visited May 2013

Pennsauken, NJ
“Delicious and Affordable.”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Hubby and I enjoyed the Creole cuisine and it wasn't too hard on our wallets. The food was delicous and we hope to come back again soon!

Visited April 2013
Medford, New Jersey
“Left me wishing I was homeless...”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I couldn't underestand why it took close to 1/2 hour for the food to arrive. After it was served, it was obvious. Five minutes to cook it, 25 minutes for it to sit and get cold. The crawfish bisque was tepid with a watery base and hard overcooked crawfish. That was the best part of the meal.
I ordered shrimp and grits and my partner ordered a shrimp po boy. His shrimp po boy came out cleverly disguised as a pulled pork sandwhich which consisted of a hoagie roll filled with cold barbequed pork. My shrimp and grits were so congealed that I'm sure if I had turned the bowl upside down they would have fallen out in one big lump. As with the barbequed pork, the shrimp and grits were cold. We each took one bite of our meals and tried our best not to keep it down.
The food was truly "THAT BAD". We sent the meals back which out server was very gracious about, paid the bar tab and left. On the way out, I commented to my partner... "if I was homeless eating out of a trash can, it would probably be better than the garbage they serve here".

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Michael B
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Neighborhood Find”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Tucked away on Front Street in Philly, this authentic Cajun/Creole restaurant goes beyond the stereotypes, like putting their jambalaya on top of truffle-enhanced rice. The menu is diverse while staying within the genre. Good small tap selection of local brews. The specials are interesting. We went early on a Saturday night and had no problem getting a table. Will definitely go again.

• Visited July 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“delightful find”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

loved everything about this place except that it's too small so it can be a wait for a table...food and service is excellent!!

Visited March 2012