“The real Cleopathra”

Ranked #16 of 435 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in honor of America’s first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of America’s oldest and premier centers of science education. The museum is known for blockbuster exhibits, a bevy of interactive ongoing exhibitions, and one-of-a-kind theatrical experiences. Today, the Institute continues its dedication to public education and creating a passion for science by offering new and exciting access to science and technology in ways that would dazzle and delight its namesake.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
New York
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“The real Cleopathra”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2010

I visited the Cleopathra exhibit on 09/09 with my sister and it was a very good experience. The audio and visuiual effects really enhance the experience and for the first time I flet like we were hearing from her true experiences. I was also cheering for the explores who contributed to the exhibit that the find more Egyptian treasures. and being a kid at heart I enjoyed playing with the pieces in the museum.

1 Thank sightseeing1

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
1,042 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,871 helpful votes
“Very good 75 year old science museum, great planetarium”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

This historic museum sits right on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and has been a Philadelphia tradition for over 75 years. The museum has expanded recently and there is a paid parking garage in the back. We saw an interesting Cleopatra exhibit there recently, but the museum still has some of the old, classic exhibits from years ago--a heart that you can walk through, an operating Baldwin locomotive engine, electric experiments, etc. The Fels planetarium has a number of different shows during the day and there is a telescope viewing area on trhe roof. There are a number of dining areas in the museum and we thought that Ben's Bistro was very good with reasonable prices.

1 Thank Pnemiller
Shallotte, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“While there is a ton of interactive stuff...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

While there is a ton of interactive stuff for kids to do the kids are also running wild in this place. The parents seem to have forgotten to tell their children how to act - lots of bad manners all around. Have seen only 1 other parent discipline her children but she is the exception. Come but be prepared

Erie, PA
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Great experience for school aged children!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

This museum was appropriate for our children 4-10. There was something for each age. I am not sure if it would be interesting for kids much older than 12ish. It took us about 5 hours to go through the exhibits and we were moving along at a good pace. Don't miss the planetarium shows. The show was interesting and provided some "downtime" for the kids. The exhibits were diverse and educational. I give a "thumbs up" to the staf. I found them to be very involved with the exhibits and were great at educating. The planetarium shows had a live narrator who had excellent command of the subject and was entertaining- I expected it to be an audio recording. My oldest watched a dissection of a sheep's heart which he found fascinating. The person doing the dissection provided an excellent review of the anatomy. The staff that was demonstrating the principles of light were great with the kids. My youngest loved the train exhibits. The real steam engine actually moves within the building. Ask the staff on the history of how the train got to the building - fascinating story. One of the most captivating things for my children was actually the statue of Ben Franklin in the rotunda lobby - it was impressive. We did not see the Cleopatra exhibit. We ate at the restaurant which I found good with nice selections. It appeared that some of the selections were chef prepared- interesting soup and sandwich selections. Pizza was $2.79 for a large slice, which was good for the kids. They had homemade lemonade as well. We were going to do the outside grill but it was too hot on the day of our visit but the menu looked good.
There were alot of kids there, which is too be expected. I think it it was worth the price and my kids thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 Thank 332neo
West Palm Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun, reasonably priced place for a day of fun for kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

My kids had a blast. We were two childern - 7 and 11 and 2 adults, it was $77.00 including an Imax show, and parking was discounted at $12.00. I was pleasantly surprised at how modern the place was...I was expecting a really dirty, run down place after reading these reviews. I would suggest bring hand sanitzer with you, its kinda gross so many kids touch all the exhibits although they do have Purell stations throughout, The heart and body exihibit was great and my kids loved the electricity one the best. Only annoying thing were the groups of daycare/camp kids unsupervised while their counselors flirted with each other at the other end of the exihibit,

1 Thank jssmith12