“Day trip with the grandkids”

The Franklin Institute
Ranked #17 of 462 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in honor of America’s first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of America’s oldest and premier centers of science education. The museum is known for blockbuster exhibits, a bevy of interactive ongoing exhibitions, and one-of-a-kind theatrical experiences. Today, the Institute continues its dedication to public education and creating a passion for science by offering new and exciting access to science and technology in ways that would dazzle and delight its namesake.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed November 27, 2013

A fantastic place to visit with grandkids (or kids, as the case may be! There is so much to see and do - the heart is a favorite (has been since I was a kid!), the body, science, planes, trains, the planetarium and the Sky Bike - it is a wonderful place for all ages!

1  Thank Sally J

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I visited with my five year old son. Both he and the adults enjoyed the museum. It was well kept and provided many exhibits to keep his attention. Being able to break up the time with interactive exhibits, 3d movies and a gift shop was great. Only issue we had was with the observatory on the top floor. Although it was listed as open, there was only one cranky employee up there that wanted to provide information but not actually let us look out of the telescope, which she said was closed (thought that was the point of any observatory). Other than that, was very happy with the museum and would highly recommend it to others with small children.

1  Thank Dzaj
Reviewed November 25, 2013

A must see. I live in Phila and take all my out of town friends to The Franklin Instute. Its amazing for every age group. Very interactive expierence on all levels. Teaching science at all displays. Its just FUN!

1  Thank s w
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Unfortunately on my visit I had limited time and only got to enjoy Mr Franklin and his light show. You can get up close and personal with Ben which is great and when the lights start changing colour it is really a spectacle. As it was Sunday there were lots of families - so I would presume the exhibitions would be a great venture.
No charge to visit Ben in the Main Rotunda but a fee to explore the rest of the Institute.

1  Thank Lozfromoz98
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I just went with my 12 year old daughter. Just us. She was hesitant as she has been with clas before. We had a great day. Learned a lot of new things. Planetarium and Imax were real good. Spending time together was best and we learned also. Would definately recommend for good family fun. We spent all day and took train. Also just us for dinner later. Great day.