“not for young kids”

Ranked #13 of 465 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in honor of America’s first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of America’s oldest and premier centers of science education. The museum is known for blockbuster exhibits, a bevy of interactive ongoing exhibitions, and one-of-a-kind theatrical experiences. Today, the Institute continues its dedication to public education and creating a passion for science by offering new and exciting access to science and technology in ways that would dazzle and delight its namesake.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We've been to many science centers. Usually there is at least a room for little kids to discover and explore, if not more. There was very little for the under 5 crowd. There was a heart to walk through, an airplane to sit in, and a big train to look at. That is about it for anyone uner 5. Even for the 5-8 year olds there was a area, but it didn't have that much to do.

I wouldn't take any kids under 10 here.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,626)
All reviews
in 55 reviews
"special exhibits"
in 101 reviews

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We really liked SPY - the traveling exhibit that shows you secret agent stuff. I especially liked the gifts that other countries gave us to spy on us, and I liked climbing over the laser beams even though I was terrible at it. I also liked disguizing my voice. It was cool to see the hidden cameras and tape recorders. The rest of the museum was also first class. I liked the planetarium show and the other science exhibits. Very glad we went, something for everyone, young and old.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This exhibit gets four stars because of a few issues. First, lots of grammatical errors and misspellings on the descriptions and placards. Second, whoever laid out the exhibit didn't consider traffic flow - as you enter an area, there is an exhibit right there - if anyone stops to read, they actually block others from entering the area.

Also - don't waste your money on the audio - it's just the same stuff that's written down - almost no extra content.

I like this museum - a lot. And this is an ok exhibit - but it could have been much, much better.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Great museum for kids and teens. Lots of interactive displays that really illustrate science in new ways. Make sure you've got dollar bills to exchange for tokens if you want to ride the Sky Bike.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Institute is a great place to take children for hands on activities. However, do not use Standard Parking by the Institute. My husband started to pull into the parking space the attendant said to pull into but stopped and question the attendant about fitting. He said the car would fit and then stood there and said nothing as my husband pulled in. There was a column on the side of the car the attendant was standing on, that the car scrapped scratching the back fender. I talked to a lady who checked with the manger of the garage and was insured they had insurance and the car would be fixed. They took pictures and the information need to process the claim. Several weeks later we received a letter saying they WOULD NOT fix the car. After several calls and emails Tina final told me to email an reconsideration letter which I did and she still denied the claim. Besides not fixing the car Tina Owens did not return calls within the 24 hours her answer machine said she would. In fact I had to call and leave messages several times and email her once to get any reply back.