“First time visit”

Ranked #13 of 463 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in honor of America’s first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of America’s oldest and premier centers of science education. The museum is known for blockbuster exhibits, a bevy of interactive ongoing exhibitions, and one-of-a-kind theatrical experiences. Today, the Institute continues its dedication to public education and creating a passion for science by offering new and exciting access to science and technology in ways that would dazzle and delight its namesake.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was my first trip to Philadelphia and I was excited to see all the places that my husband grew up visiting. I had a lot of fun running around in here and was even a part of a test group for a new exhibit they were working on. I look forward to coming back with my children one day!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,618)
All reviews
in 55 reviews
"special exhibits"
in 101 reviews

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Philadelphia is home to this excellent science museum. Very interactive exhibits, wonderful place to spend a day with kids. There's a giant walk-through heart, surrounded by all sorts of health relative exhibits. IMax theater, special exhibits, lots of things that move and can be manipulated. Museum cafe is also very good; pleasant spot with lots of variety for both the kiddos and the adults. Expect lots of school or camp groups during vacations.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was a really cool place. Or at least it would have been if we were able to see and experience all the exhibits. There must have been twenty different kids camps there, children were EVERYWHERE. And all completely out of control...I could not believe how lacking some of the teachers/counsellors were in their ability to manage their groups. I really would like to go back and experience the museum leisurely and be able to actually see and do everything. And I really think the museum sjhould limit the amount of groups that visit at the same time, it was absolutely unfair to families who could not enjoy their visit because of the unruly crowds of ill behaved children.

1  Thank Christine B
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I've been coming here since I was a child (so 35+ years) - and sadly many of the exhibits are exactly the same...and look older than I do. Many of them simply don't even work. However, the Fels Planetarium and I-Max are strill great draws and I'd rate them both Above Average. If you've never been to a planetarium, I strongly suggest you go Between DC and NJ the Fels planetarium may be your only bet and always worth the trip.