“The museum needs an update please.”

The Franklin Institute
Ranked #17 of 443 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in honor of America’s first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of America’s oldest and premier centers of science education. The museum is known for blockbuster exhibits, a bevy of interactive ongoing exhibitions, and one-of-a-kind theatrical experiences. Today, the Institute continues its dedication to public education and creating a passion for science by offering new and exciting access to science and technology in ways that would dazzle and delight its namesake.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
On the road again
416 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 402 helpful votes
“The museum needs an update please.”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Keeping in mind I loved this place as a child my comments are meant to help. The director needs to get out and see how they compare to places like Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago to see how far behind the place is. The train set in Chicago alone blows Franklin away and truly this place needs a revamping. I am hoping it will be great again but if I were a kid today I think I would be disappointed with the museum. Time to make it right again please. From a person born in South Philly who knows the city backwards and forwards now living in Florida. Don't shoot the messenger as this is written to wake museum leaders up!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Palo Alto, California
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Awe striking exhibit of Dead Sea Scrolls”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The Dead Sea Scrolls happened to be at the Franklin Institute while I was in Philadelphia on business. I managed to squeeze out 2 hours to see the exhibit, unfortunately I did not have time to see the rest of the musuem. The exhibit told the story of the scrolls with a full historical background and then you came into a large room where actual fragments were displayed in a specially designed climate controlled circular piece. Only small fragments were shown, but there were photos of larger fragments, with photographic enlargements and translations. The exhibit was incredibly well conceived and mounted.

Visited September 2012
Pennsylvania, United States
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Awesome place to visit!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

As part of my birthday trip to Philly the first place we visited was the Franklin Institute. It was a very imppresive building, and as we entered it the huge sculpture of Ben Franklin sits majestically in the middle of the foyer. I love statues and sculptures and this one was awesome. Walking through the giant heart was fun. My experience was enhanced by the show at the Planetarium. There's something incredible about sitting under the stars. I highly recommend all who visit Philly to visit the Franklin Institute. Next trip I hope th visit the museums.

Campinas, SP
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Funniest way to teach science to the kids”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Very nice settings with lots to learn in electricity, human body and aviation. Ideal for kids 8 or above.

Wyoming, Michigan, United States
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The nicest thing was the amount of interactive displays for our children. This made the entire museum fascinating for all of us. The children particularly enjoyed going through the Giant Heart and playing with the water in the Kids Science Room while we adults really liked the Franklin Air Show. We don't live in the area - we were visiting relatives. This is a place we could come back to see again during our visit next year.

Visited August 2012