“Worthwhile for special exhibitions.”

The Franklin Institute
Ranked #35 of 470 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in honor of America’s first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of America’s oldest and premier centers of science education. The museum is known for blockbuster exhibits, a bevy of interactive ongoing exhibitions, and one-of-a-kind theatrical experiences. Today, the Institute continues its dedication to public education and creating a passion for science by offering new and exciting access to science and technology in ways that would dazzle and delight its namesake.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I've been to the Franklin Institute more times than I can remember. Growing up in the area there were numerous trips with school, scouts, etc. As an adult, I've got to say that I don't feel that they've kept up with wear and tear on some of the exhibits very well but some of the more recent additions are nice. Where this museum really shines in my opinion are the special exhibits. Back in the fall I went with my wife and some friends to the Mummies of the World exhibition and were blown away. This was the second exhibit I had been to, the first being the King Tut one back in 2007(ish) and I was highly impressed with both. I don't make any trips to here unless one is going on that I'm interested in, afterwards taking a stroll through the rest of the museum, which is included in the price.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,695)
All reviews
in 30 reviews
"traveling exhibits"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Kids loved it and it's very hands on. Lots to do and you will need all day.

1  Thank Laker08
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The walking through heart is a must see. A lot of great exhibits which introduce kids to science in a meaningful way.

1  Thank Jay M
Reviewed February 19, 2012

The traveling exhibits are so well done that they appeal to to kids and adults alike. The permanent exhibits are also quite entertaining. There is an IMAX theater which shows short but informative movies about the exhibits. The gift shop is also excellent.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We hit this at least once a year, and because we have a membership to our local science museum, it is free. We get 2-4 hours out of it, depending on the kids' moods and any special presentations. The planetarium is decent. Yesterday we saw an excellent demo of liquid nitrogen that covered states of matter, shrinkage from cold, and related topics. There is a lot there, and we pick and choose differently each time, which is the luxury of these reciprocal membership deals -less pressure to do it all. On the downside, it is always crowded and there are always a few broken exhibits.