“Great for kids and adults”

The Franklin Institute
Ranked #16 of 435 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in honor of America’s first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of America’s oldest and premier centers of science education. The museum is known for blockbuster exhibits, a bevy of interactive ongoing exhibitions, and one-of-a-kind theatrical experiences. Today, the Institute continues its dedication to public education and creating a passion for science by offering new and exciting access to science and technology in ways that would dazzle and delight its namesake.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Crofton, Maryland
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Great for kids and adults”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

The kids love running through the heart and playing with the hands-on activities. Adults love the shows and learning something new.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Green Lane, Pennsylvania
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Still a great place, but in need of an overhaul.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

I've been to Franklin Institute many, many times over the years, but it's been a long while since my last visit. My boyfriend was in town for a visit and I wanted to show him my favorite museum.

Being Christmas week, I knew it would be overcrowded, but it was ridiculous. We couldn't see or get to anything and were constantly pushed around by the other patrons. It just wasn't fun.

The place hasn't changed much since I was a little kid, and I'm in my 40's now. As much as I do love the place, I don't think I'll go back except for the special exhibits they have. There are simply too many people allowed in at once, and the regular exhibits never change and modernize.

Walton, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Waste of money - definitely not how it was portrayed!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

This museum is not a museum. It is a big building full of toys. There is nothing intellectual about it. Ben Franklin would be disappointed! Do not go!!!! All the signs said the observatory was open until you get to the top when it says it is closed. Do not go!

2 Thank Taylor B
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Broken and tired”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

Packed during the New Year's Holiday weekend. Have been here many times before , but was very disappointed this time. At least 7 exhibits were broken and it was so crowded we did not see even a quarter of the exhibits. The planetarium line was so long that we were told (after we waited in line 20 minutes) that we would have to wait for the next show. Staff seemed checked out.

Doubt we will be back.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Philadelphia Classic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

you have to walk through the giant heart! every philadelphia schoolkid remembers doing that on a field trip (and you don't outgrow the fun). Great exhibits--really enjoyed solving the CSI mysteries. Imax theater is cool, but don't miss the Planetarium!