“Very nice Asian fusion tasting menu/atmosphere and service”
Review of Sampan

Sampan
Reserve with OpenTable
Sampan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 4,522 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Walnut
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I took several clients and friends together to Sampan, since it was within easy walking distance of our hotel and had great reviews. We all really enjoyed it!

The atmosphere is Asian/chic and very trendy, but still comfortable.

The food was outstanding. We opted to do the 7 course tasting, and every dish was delicious. Even though it began to look like the 7 courses would not be sufficient, we found ourselves being filled by the final noodle/rice dishes without any problem. If I were to go again, I might focus more on the other dishes, instead, even if that might cost more in the end. The appetizers/hot/cold dishes were spectacular, and I'd definitely enjoy trying more!

Service was also very friendly and helpful. Our server was a delightfully tart young woman who I definitely played with and teased a bit, and she couldn't have been more fun to boot.

All in all, a big win--and a new regular spot for me to visit when I'm in Philadelphia. Well done!

1  Thank Bill R

Reviewed March 26, 2013

a fairly new rest. great ambiance and decor... food was great tho the portions are really tiny. had the dumplins for appetizer and r really good, on the main course I have the sirloin with french fries, a big comment on this.... I'm not a big fan of fries at all but this was the most amazing and tasting fries I have ever had period!!!! they r crunchy, without being burned and spicy without been overkill just amazing.... the sirloin was perfectly cooked and very tasty but.... a very tiny portion for the price of close to $25.00.
Dessert was good as a trio of house made gellato in the very nice presentation of 3 small cones
Fun place!!!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

OK, I admit, we didn't stay to try the food. And other reviewers seem to like this place and the Graffiti Bar. Here's all I'm going to say. We walked into and sat at the bar and looked at wines by the glass. A Pinot Noir that cost us $10 a bottle a few days ago was $12.50 a glass here. There were too many other quality choices in this cool part of Philly to hang there.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

There were 9 of us, and we got the tasting menu at $45 per person. Everything was wonderful. It is not classic chinese, but you will not be disappointed. I especially liked the Kobe Satay. The miniature ice cream cones were a surprise and delightful. We will definitely return next visit to Philadelphia.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Far from Chinatown, Sampan is nestled among the restaurant jewels to be found on 13th Street,
previously a wasteland. Since we with another couple we had a special menu at $45 per person
which included a variety of items. We tried two types of dumplings served in broth and seafood
tacos along with excellent Kobe satay. Following this we had shrimp pad thai, Szechuan chicken
and superb chunks of sea bass. Included was a cute assortment of miniature ice cream cones
for dessert. They have a full liquor license as well. The restaurant is small and crowded with a
young crowd, so be sure to make reservations on the weekend. Highly recommended