“Interesting Place, Very Good Food”
Review of Sampan

Sampan
Reserve with OpenTable
Sampan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 4,629 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Walnut
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here. 3 menu selections plus drinks.
It's different...almost tapas-like. Excellent food, reasonable cost.
We enjoyed it and will go back.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Typically I do not like tapas or "communal" style dining. I feel like it's just a way for the restaurant to charge more for less. And besides, I like to know that I'm getting a "meal". However, the food was so good, that I can't complain. I ordered about 3 items for my self and my friend had about 3 items and that was a plenty! It is expensive, but certainly worth it. The quality is superb and the service is excellent. When you walk in, the host offers to store your coats. Very nice. My only complaint was the "Philly cheesesteak" dim sum (very boring). Overall , excellent. I will be going back !

Reviewed January 10, 2013

This place is great. We went during happy Hour and sat at the bar overlooking the kitchen...fun!
The food was really excellent too! And cheap!!! Kobe sliders at $2 delicious...
All of the food was excellent, rice, dumplings.... great service, good drinks!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We went here on the Thursday after Christmas having driven from Boston (horrible journey!), so we needed something good to change our mood...and we got it! We got seats at the kitchen bar within 15 minutes of arriving and so saw all the dishes being cooked. We tried all parts of the menu: pot-stickers, Kobe-style beef satay, fried rice, crispy fried shrimp etc. Everything was great: the fired shrimp were fantastic: light batter, light crispness, succulent meat, piquant sauce. We drank both wine and cocktails: about the right price for this style of restaurant. Four of us slaked our thirst and sated our appetite for about $200.00.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Had dinner in this beautiful restaurant last Sunday after we were unable to get in the previous evening. This seems to be one of Philly's most popular restaurants. Rightly so. Service was excellent and the menu showed a great diversity of Asian dishes. Despite the portions not being huge, the food served pleased the eye and was tasty. However, we thought it was a bit expensive. Part of this is due to the upscale neighborhood and to the place being trendy. We will probably return but investigate similar alternatives in the area before deciding.