“2nd visit left a "bad taste" in my mouth”
Review of Sampan

Sampan
Reserve with OpenTable
Sampan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 4,372 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Walnut
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“2nd visit left a "bad taste" in my mouth”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The first time my husband and I went to Sampan I absolutely loved it. The service was excellent and the food was delish!! I knew that we would be back often.

Sadly, the second time we visited was not so great. Everything was fine until they brought out our pork belly bao buns. We had ordere these on out first visit and they were excellent. This time, on my husband's second bite, he said something tasted weird. When we inspected his food, we realized that the piece of pork belly on his bun was devoid of any meat and was essentially just a big piece of fat, breaded and deep fried. GROSS. Though we normally don't send anything back, we realized that no one would want to eat this and alerted our server, asking if we could just have one new bun, not a whole order.

He in turn brought the manager over who VERY arrogantly informed us that what we ordered was "pork belly" and it tends to have a lot of fat on it and maybe we would be more comfortable with a chicken bao bun. I almost punched him with the way he was talking down to us. We are very aware of what pork belly is and of the fact that it can be very fatty. We also know that if this guy ordered 5 lbs of pork belly from a purveyor for his restaurant and they brought him a big chunk of just fat, he would also return it. I have worked in and managed restaurants myself, and there is nothing worse than dismissing a customer and trying to make them feel inferior to you and your "food knowledge". Sadly, because of this one loser, we will not return to Sampan nor recommend it to anyone.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank Conlo47

Horsham, Pennsylvania
“Asian fusion with a zing!”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Very hip bar/restaurant. Took the whole family (three kids) to this restaurant. Everything was served family style, so we got to try all the dishes, and they were excellent. Short ribs were outstanding. This chef really knows what he/she is doing. We had dessert and one took too long to come out, so they comp'd it. I thought the desserts were expensive for what you got, but that didn't take away from the meal.

• Visited August 2012
“awesome food!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Sampan is in an awesome location, and serves great Asian cuisine. I love the crab wonton tacos and I highly recommend them. They make their drinks very strong!

Visited August 2012
Wilmington, Delaware
“Beautiful Day”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We sat outside on a mild September evening for Happy Hour. The menu is small but lovely. Everything we ate was yummy. I had a delicious Pomegranate Martini and sampled the crsipy brussel sprouts, mushroom dumpling, shrimp and lobster Bao Bun . . . all perfect and great sizes! Great service and pretty decor inside.

• Visited September 2012
“Excellent Tasting Menu!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Absolutely awesome atmosphere. I definitely recommend the tasting menu ($45) You get about 7 dishes, they are small dishes but they add up quickly and you will leave satisfied. The dishes are all delicious. They also have an outdoor bar in the back alleyway, also very nice atmosphere.

• Visited June 2012