“Beautiful Day”
Review of Sampan

Sampan
Reserve with OpenTable
Sampan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 4,459 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Walnut
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We sat outside on a mild September evening for Happy Hour. The menu is small but lovely. Everything we ate was yummy. I had a delicious Pomegranate Martini and sampled the crsipy brussel sprouts, mushroom dumpling, shrimp and lobster Bao Bun . . . all perfect and great sizes! Great service and pretty decor inside.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Absolutely awesome atmosphere. I definitely recommend the tasting menu ($45) You get about 7 dishes, they are small dishes but they add up quickly and you will leave satisfied. The dishes are all delicious. They also have an outdoor bar in the back alleyway, also very nice atmosphere.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have to say I greatly enjoy eating here. I havent gotten a chance to place my respects until now. if you want some good eating go here

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My friends and I tried this place because of a suggestion from the concierge in our hotel. It was absolutely delicious! We all ordered different entrees and each one was amazing. PLUS you get gourmet ice cream at the end! I would DEFINITELY go back whenever I'm back in Philly.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Several friends and I went to Sampan for dinner on August 11th. One of our party had been several times and raved about it - he did not exaggerate. We all chose the tasting menu, which was not cheap ($45ish per person) but came with a large selection; among ours were Peking duck, Kobe beef fried rice, Chilean sea bass, chicken satay plus several others. When I mentioned my seafood allergy to the waiter he kindly double checked my choices with the chef to ensure I didn't accidentally order something and caught that one of mine did indeed have fish sauce. Plus he bought us a serving of edamame dumplings! Have to say they were my favorite dish, very spicy but wonderful. Everything I tasted was delicious, plus one of my friends grew up in Malaysia and said all of his choices were authentic, including the duck.

The interior of the restaurant was beautiful and well lit considering we went at 10p on a Saturday, more than enough to eat by but not bright enough to bother the revelers in the bar. Our wait time had only been 1/2 hour, and we were late for our reservation so they were well within their rights to make us wait forever.

All in all a fantastic night at Sampan.