“great eating”
Review of Sampan

Sampan
Reserve with OpenTable
Sampan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 4,440 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Walnut
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have to say I greatly enjoy eating here. I havent gotten a chance to place my respects until now. if you want some good eating go here

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My friends and I tried this place because of a suggestion from the concierge in our hotel. It was absolutely delicious! We all ordered different entrees and each one was amazing. PLUS you get gourmet ice cream at the end! I would DEFINITELY go back whenever I'm back in Philly.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Several friends and I went to Sampan for dinner on August 11th. One of our party had been several times and raved about it - he did not exaggerate. We all chose the tasting menu, which was not cheap ($45ish per person) but came with a large selection; among ours were Peking duck, Kobe beef fried rice, Chilean sea bass, chicken satay plus several others. When I mentioned my seafood allergy to the waiter he kindly double checked my choices with the chef to ensure I didn't accidentally order something and caught that one of mine did indeed have fish sauce. Plus he bought us a serving of edamame dumplings! Have to say they were my favorite dish, very spicy but wonderful. Everything I tasted was delicious, plus one of my friends grew up in Malaysia and said all of his choices were authentic, including the duck.

The interior of the restaurant was beautiful and well lit considering we went at 10p on a Saturday, more than enough to eat by but not bright enough to bother the revelers in the bar. Our wait time had only been 1/2 hour, and we were late for our reservation so they were well within their rights to make us wait forever.

All in all a fantastic night at Sampan.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

At the recommendation of William the concierge at the Sofitel, my cousins and I went for a delicious, light meal on a bustling Friday night. The modern, undulating bent wood exterior gives way to a modern dining area with lighting that slowly changed colors throughout the evening. The room was fairly loud, as one would expect this sort of place to be, but not painfully so.

Unlike many others, we did not go for the full tasting menu, but instead opted for a series of the small plates appetizers. Savory buns, tender dumplings, tuna crackers, pan-seared brussell sprouts (don't knock them--they were *delicious*!), on and on the plates came. Accompanied by a small pitcher of grapefruit-scented drinks, the name of which eludes me now, this was a great meal that didn't break the bank and provided us with a memorable, fun time. Well worth a try

Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I went for our anniversary.its a shame only the two of us. Bring a group of 4-6 and share everything. Let the helpful waiters help in your selection.
We had 7 selections and loved them all. In the heart of Philadelphia.save room for special ice cream cones. Great atmosphere, great food,great staff. Save some time to walk the city after a great meal.