“Wonderful value”

Ranked #80 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Calgary, Canada
“Wonderful value”
Reviewed January 15, 2008

The hotel was fine and conveniently located for our visit. The service was excellent, the room was clean and quiet and we received excellent value. The towels were quite plush. We stayed on the third floor and did not hear any party noises, even over a weekend. I recommend this hotel.

Stayed January 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
manayunk
Reviewed December 2, 2007

i think the north american was fun ..its good for partys..and from the other reviews you can tell its more of a party hotel then comfortable and quite..so for the people who have stayed there do research before you stay some where with such bad reviews..thats your fault..AJ

• Stayed June 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 29, 2007

I booked one of the banquet rooms for my daughter's sweet sixteen party. the room was adequate, but not worth the price. people from other parties were constantly walking through to get to other parts of the hotel. the worst part was the leak over the dance floor. i had to have an employee wipe the floor quite a few times. some small pieces of plaster also fell. i would never stay overnight here. the motel needs another renovation. it seems old and outdated.

• Liked — Luigi, the event planner was very friendly and helpful. Greg, the event planner that worked with us to finalize the party was ok. However, he has not gotten back to me about my complaint.
  • Stayed October 2007
2 Thank JustMeDee

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed November 16, 2007

This is the worse hotel in Philadelphia! The hotel was very noisy, people having their events all over the place, guest roaming through the place and don't forget the local hookers seeking for jons. Also, little known fact, the gas station next door is owned by the hotel too where the hookers are trying to solicit business. The management and staff at this place is unprofessional and disrespectful. Do yourself a favor, don't stay at this joint. RUN!

• Liked — Noting at all, very ghetto atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Everything, poor management.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank phillygirlc
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 20, 2006

As all the hotels in the area were full, my father and I decided to make a reservation here. When we arrived, they had no record of our reservation. Parking was a nightmare: they have a very cramped and tortuously twisting parking garage which is not conducive to minivans or SUV's and doesn't contain enough spaces to accomodate all guests. We wound up parking across the street in a shopping mall lot (probably illegally). The motel houses a party center as well, resulting in a very noisy environment and a rowdy clientele. The doors provide very little security, the bedding consisted of only a sheet and bedspread, there were no face towels or shampoo and no housekeeping service. In retrospect, I would have driven up to an hour away to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2006
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
san diego
Reviewed July 16, 2005

I stayed at this motel for one night and I found it to be very quiet. I'm not disputing what the previous poster said about thin walls and noise----I suspect the place was quiet because there were almost no other guests on the premises when I was there. (I stayed there on a Sunday night, in case you're considering it.) In light of the fact that I spent almost twice as much at the Holiday Inn just down the street on the previous night, and it was noisy, I think this place was a bargain on that score. On the other hand, I didn't think my room was very clean. In fact, it was probably near the lower limit of my standards. (Maybe it was all the cigarette burns in the carpet and furniture that turned me off.) There is one other thing---I'm kind of reluctant to mention it: almost everybody I saw in the motel was black, and I got the feeling my presence was, well, disapproved of. (I happen to be white.) No one did or said anything overt. It was just that, for example, if I greeted someone, they wouldn't reply. Or I noticed people frowning when they looked at me. Subtle signals like that. I'm not saying I felt unsafe or anything, just unwelcome. (Hey, I call 'em the way I see 'em.)

• Stayed October 2004
10 Thank booradley2
NYC
Reviewed May 15, 2005

After learning that all our favorite hotels were sold out in Center City and Old City Philiadelphia, my husband and I ended up the North American Motor Inn.

I will say right off the bat that everything was clean but that's where the compliments stop. The walls are paper thin, they don't have the best "clientel" and it's extremely noisy (and the fact that it's above a banquet hall and next to a gas station does not help). Also, the only lock on the room door was a push knob lock. We slept with a chair pushed against the door and hid our valuables while we were out. Happy to report nothing was stolen, but still not a very safe feeling.

Unless you are truly stuck with needing a place to stay (like we were) I don't suggest staying here. I'm not a hotel snob, I'm actually pretty easy to please. But even for me...this place was just horrendous.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business