“Don't miss the murals!”

Mural Arts Program of Philadelphia - Mural Tours
Ranked #20 of 72 Tours in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Come see our amazing collection of murals and other public artwork! The City of Murals is now available for guided tours all year long. Please check our Tour Calendar to see the latest offerings open to the public. A mural tour is a world-class experience for the whole family and any group.All mural tour proceeds benefit Philadelphia Mural Arts Program initiatives. We appreciate your support, please join us soon!
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Thanks to Tripadvisor reviews I booked 2 mural tours for our trip to Philly. Both were wonderful!! With our schedule and the mural arts schedule, to get the tours I wanted they would be the same day. I called the office to check because the Mural Mile Walking Tour was from 11-1 and the Love Letter Train Tour was from 1-2:30. The tours were on a Sunday so they both started at the Mural Arts office. They said it was fine to book both tours and made a note on the later tour that we were coming from the walking tour. We were a little late but no problem and they waited even longer for a couple who had gotten caught in parade traffic. Very accommodating and the guide gave us a lot of background info while we waited. Both guides were enthusiastic and knowledgable.

All reviews
"techniques"
"movement"

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Reviewed January 7, 2013

When I was looking for the perfect way to propose, I stumbled upon the Mural Arts Love Letter Tour. It couldn't have been more perfect. The tour begins and ends in Love park (excellent for post-engagement photos) and tells the story of a lost love regained.

The murals are graffiti-style, so a little different from some other mural tours. This particular tour also utilizes the El which also sets it apart. The midway point on the tour requires you to cross over the tracks on an overpass that overlooks the Philadelphia skyline and a mural that says "Your ever after is all I'm after." It's the spot I chose for the proposal. She said yes!

The Mural Arts Program has many other mural tours that also look very interesting. The next time we're in Philadelphia for a few days, I would definitely look into another tour.

As an aside--the program grew out of a city graffiti project from what I understand. The murals are phenomenal!

There are public tours on certain days, but because this was a special occasion, I was able to book a private tour. Regardless of the type of tour you do, it's a different look at Philadelphia that not many people know about.

1  Thank rugger4
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The mural tour was the high point of our stay in Philadelphia, although our feet and bladders gave out before the end (it is about 2 hours and 1 mile and endlessly fascinating). You can book one of several tours or grab a map at the mural arts program gallery at an indoor shopping mall called the Gallery, and see murals on your own with information available through a cell phone tour guide. It was nice to take the tour with a live guide, a lively and well-informed young woman who shared her passion for this wonderful artwork. . The diversity of materials, content and back stories in the murals we saw was extraordinary. Half of one, for instance was painted on ;parachute cloth by nearby prison inmates while the other half was made out of mosaic tiles by students at four local public schools. The whole held together and was beautiful and moving. A number of the murals were very site-specific--e.g. a mural about women's rights on the wall of the New Century Guild, a leader in women's suffrage and vocational training. Just a taste of what I saw and learned on this wonderful tour. Next time I am going to do the elevated train tour--my friend T at the Monaco says you can see TONS of murals that way.

2  Thank Janet11238
See more reviews
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I just returned from a long weekend exploring Philadelphia with friends. We jammed many attractions and sights into our four days there, but my absolute favorite was the Mural Arts Program Walking Tour. It's so impressive how the city has turned a 1980s graffiti problem into becoming "The City of Murals." The scope and variety of the magnificent murals is exceptional, and the stories behind them are captivating. Though Philadelphia may be known more for its place in early American history, do yourself a favor and take a tour of the city's murals. You won't be disappointed!

2  Thank B-and-FMpls