“Mom still talks about it ... from 300 miles away”

Mural Arts Program of Philadelphia - Mural Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$22.00*
and up
Two-Hour Mural Mile Philadelphia Walking Tour
Ranked #21 of 76 Tours in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Come see our amazing collection of murals and other public artwork! The City of Murals is now available for guided tours all year long. Please check our Tour Calendar to see the latest offerings open to the public. A mural tour is a world-class experience for the whole family and any group.All mural tour proceeds benefit Philadelphia Mural Arts Program initiatives. We appreciate your support, please join us soon!
Philadelphia, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Mom still talks about it ... from 300 miles away”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My mother traveled home after this tour and sang its praises to all her (non-TA!) friends for weeks -- further underscoring founder Jane Golden's genius by asking, "How come *my* city doesn't have a mural arts program?" THANK YOU for lifting the veil from the eyes of us city residents, too: we had previously strolled by some of these 40 foot-tall murals ... all abuzz with vivid colors and lived history and neighbors' riotous imaginations ... without ever noticing them, much less conceiving of the community dialog cultivated in the process of creating them. Tour guide Ryan, who serves as Mural Arts Director of Business Development, nicely balanced the art and urban culture of it all -- and sprinkled in just the right amount of gossip about politicians, restaurateurs, and other public figures ;) Bonus points to him for preserving the relaxed atmosphere by rolling with the punches forced on us after discovering that the included lunch venue had flooded overnight due to a water main burst.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
“Fun!”

FUN!

The Arts and Ale Mural Tour was an excellent combination of tasty treats and art that I confess I would never have seen otherwise!

Ryan was a highly entertaining host/guide. I've always wanted to take a mural tour, but this just fit my schedule at the last minute and I can't wait to do the next one! There is so much beauty...even in the least lovely parts of town!

Thanks Ryan...and the rest of you: GO!

Phila., Pa.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Love the Mural Tours”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I've taken the Mural Bus Tour of center city murals and it was delightful. A lovely day with perfect weather, a knowledgeable guide, good driver and the perfect length of time.
My goal is to take all the tours offered eventually.

I've also taken the 9th St. Walking tour - this, too, was great. Although it was an extremely hot day, we found shade readily. The art work is inspirational and the guide that did the awning portion of the tour had also interviewed the shop owners and painted the awnings to reflect their life. Truly a masterful job! She is certainly artistic, very creative and showed so much enthusiasm and respect in her work, language and stories. We were also able to view the creative musical patterns on the sidewalks of Passyunk Ave. Such a talented, creative group of artists!

Hyattsville, Maryland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“It was the Best!!!”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I grew up in Philadelphia but now reside in MD. I was so pleased with this tour and I learned so much about the city I still call home. I enjoyed the tour guide, the facts shared, the small group, just about everything about the tour. I have recommended the tour to others and hope to explore some the other tour offered. This is a great expericence. Don't forget to get you walking shoes!!!!

Visited May 2011
San Francisco, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Why?”
Reviewed May 26, 2011

It was a nice walk with very pleasant company but our guide Jerry essentially read from a cheat sheet and I think if we had done the self cell phone tour we would have gotten more information and been more interesting. Best thing about these tours us that it attracts interesting people so at least the company was great And the murals were fantastic

MAPTours, Manager at Mural Arts Program of Philadelphia - Mural Tours, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Thanks for your input donojames.

I'm sorry to hear the presentation was not up to your expectation, and in fact, it the guide was reading from a cheat sheet, it's not up to our expectation either.

Our guides receive hundreds of hours of training each year, so that they are essentially experts in all areas including how to paint murals. My assistant evaluates all of the guides regularly, and we take your feedback seriously and will talk with the guide from your tour to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I'd like for you to give our guided tour another try, because 99% of our customers find the human interaction and knowledge gained to be well worth the money and far better than the self-guided audio tour. Just drop me an email at ryan.derfler@muralarts.org and I'll set you up on another tour of your choice.

Thanks again,