Mural Arts Program of Philadelphia - Mural Tours
and up
Philadelphia Love Letter Art Tour via Elevated Train
Ranked #20 of 75 Tours in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Come see our amazing collection of murals and other public artwork! The City of Murals is now available for guided tours all year long. Please check our Tour Calendar to see the latest offerings open to the public. A mural tour is a world-class experience for the whole family and any group.All mural tour proceeds benefit Philadelphia Mural Arts Program initiatives. We appreciate your support, please join us soon!
San Francisco, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Why?”
Reviewed May 26, 2011

It was a nice walk with very pleasant company but our guide Jerry essentially read from a cheat sheet and I think if we had done the self cell phone tour we would have gotten more information and been more interesting. Best thing about these tours us that it attracts interesting people so at least the company was great And the murals were fantastic

MAPTours, Manager at Mural Arts Program of Philadelphia - Mural Tours, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Thanks for your input donojames.

I'm sorry to hear the presentation was not up to your expectation, and in fact, it the guide was reading from a cheat sheet, it's not up to our expectation either.

Our guides receive hundreds of hours of training each year, so that they are essentially experts in all areas including how to paint murals. My assistant evaluates all of the guides regularly, and we take your feedback seriously and will talk with the guide from your tour to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I'd like for you to give our guided tour another try, because 99% of our customers find the human interaction and knowledge gained to be well worth the money and far better than the self-guided audio tour. Just drop me an email at ryan.derfler@muralarts.org and I'll set you up on another tour of your choice.

Thanks again,

Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“EYE OPENING”
Reviewed May 14, 2011

I went on the Love Letter Mural Arts tour and was awestruck. The quality of the artwork is incredible, our guide was knowledgeable and interesting, and the entire experience was an amazing one.

HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend!

Visited May 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
“Absolutely fantastic”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I took the Trolley Mural Arts tour through South Philly. It was amazing. Pros: The guide was knowledgeable of the history of the city and the influences of each mural from the community that helped to construct the mural. The ride through the city neighborhoods was as interesting as the mural art themselves. Cons: It was a rainy day and the smell of the fuel from the trolley was oppressive as we had to put the plastic window covers down.
I would have liked to take the walking tour on a sunny day as well. Also please post on your tour ticket link of your MuralArts website that for the trolley tour to meet INSIDE the Independence Visitor Center near the back. I waited almost 30 minutes in front of the visitor center and almost missed the trolley altogether. After this tour, I wanted to take all the Mural Arts tours! I wished as did many of those with me on the tour that more than 1 tour was available on Fridays and Saturdays to different areas of the city, perhaps one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Visited April 2011
MAPTours, Manager at Mural Arts Program of Philadelphia - Mural Tours, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Thank you for your support of our work, and for your very kind review! Next time you're visiting Philadelphia from Omaha, please check out another tour route--there are 5 different neighborhoods we explore via trolley, and they all have their own distinct flavor.

Also, I have updated our ticketing system verbiage to better communicate that guests need to meet inside the visitor center so that we don't have any other guests experience the confusion that you had.

Finally, we very much hope to expand our trolley tour offering. As the word spreads about our unique tour, and business grows, we will add more options. The good news is that the proceeds from every ticket we sell goes back into the community through our art education and neighborhood beautification programs.

Thanks again & safe travels!

Abington, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mural tour- well worth it!”
Reviewed May 4, 2011

We loved the walking mural tour of center city! Saw wonderful murals not usually seen by the main roads. The docents (one in training) was knowledgeable and timed the talks well for each mural. I believe the main docent was Carol. It was a hot day, but we sought the shade when possible and enjoyed the 2+ hour walk!
The walk starts at the Independence Center which has bathrooms and food available, and all the facilities listed below. However, I would not recommend this walking tour to children younger than art-interested teenagers. You need good walking shoes, hat or umbrella - be prepared for the long walk.

Visited April 2011
Thanks for sharing your comments on our tour! I want to point out a couple ways our tours can be more child friendly:

1. We offer activity worksheets and games for parents and teachers to incorporate the tour into student learning. They're on our website in the Tour section, under student resources.

2. For the walking tour, the guide often offers guests the option to end early. We know from giving many tours to school groups each year, that children have at most a 1.5 hour attention span, so you might want to drop off the tour earlier to make it a better experience.

3. Often in the spring and fall we have paint days, where your youngster can help paint a real Philadelphia mural. Check our event calendar on our website and plan to take a tour before or after you go to help paint, which makes for an exciting day.

4. Ask our tour booth staff for a coloring book and crayons that you can take on a trolley tour to help keep children engaged along the way.

Finally, we offer private group tours, where we can tailor a tour to youth audiences. We use abbreviated routes, get up close to allow kids to touch the murals, and have guides who are adept at engaging youth (many are former teachers). Consider a private tour as another option.

I hope that helps your next mural tour with junior!

Thanks again,
Aston, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Love Letters Tour”
Reviewed May 2, 2011

My friends and I can't say enought about this tour. It was an amazing look at the City of Philadelphia from a completely different perspective -- an elevated train. The murals by Steve Johnson are so absolutley cool -- they really tie into the neighborhood vibe. Our guide, Evan, was very informative and made it a fun trip too. This is the second mural tour I've taken -- the first being of South Philly and I can't wait to take other tours.

2 Thank Susan30068